leaking grease around wheel well

Have a 2002 Buick LaSabre Custom. Notice grey color grease that appears to be coming from somewhere around the boot coming from the differential and splattering in and around the driver side front wheel well. The back of the wheel is dry. Like to know if anyone has any ideas where it could be coming from before I take it to a mechanic. Thanks, Slots

Reply to
slots

You have a torn CV boot. This needs to be repaired very quickly or you will destroy the CV if water gets in there. The boot is only a $20 part and only takes an hour to put in. Repair costs should be pretty cheap and can be done by any competent garage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

donot you neet to take the halfshaft to put the cv boot? if youdo so, changing the whole halfshaft and only the boot should be same in terms of cost.

Reply to
uccoskun

A half shaft around here goes for $75.00 plus core. A boot goes for $20.00 They're both going to be about an hour job. Pretty simple.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks from all who have responded. It gave me the knowledge I needed before going to a shop to have it repaired. It turns out that the clamp on the inner boot was broken and as a result it had to be replaced. No damage was found when the CV joint was inspected. However, I was told that I had a coolant leak coming from the upper intake housing where it joins the plentom. The cost to replace is apprx $800. That seems kind of expensive plus I have also been told that it isn't recommended to replace the upper intake housing to fix the problem but I wasn't told how to fix the leak. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Slots

Reply to
slots