next car?

OK... looks like I will need a new company car within the year... "standard issue" is an Impala; but I might be able to "downgrade" to a Malibu, G6, or Aura. I'm seriously tempted to "downgrade" if I can. Whatever I get will probably be a base model version of whatever car (not sure if employer/lease co. will let me purchase options that I really want or not.)

I'm leaning toward one of the Epsilon chassis cars because a) I hate my Impala ('05) for so many reasons b) the base model Impala is really, really stripped while the Epsilon cars seem a little better appointed c) I don't like big cars, and the Impala is hard to park in my driveway due to both size and lack of ground clearance.

Questions, comments, concerns? Which of the Epsilon cars would be the most desirable? Also, can anyone tell me if the stock steel wheels and tires from my '05 Impala are compatible with the '08 Impala? How about the Epsilon cars? I just got new tires on the Impala and I'm afraid that whatever new car I get will have the same s**te Goodyear Integritys that I've been waiting to replace for the last 50K miles.

One specific question: do any of the cars I discuss above have a folding rear seat as standard? that would be a big bonus to me as I often have to borrow a shop truck to haul large boxes of equipment as the '05 Impala did not come with that feature.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A lot would depend on whether you company buys regular retail models or fleet models, to get the $800 fleet discount, on what equipment you can choose.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm assuming fleet models. They don't actually buy the cars, they lease them from a fleet management company. My current car I didn't get to pick, as it was assigned to me as a new hire. This one I will have some input in choosing, not sure how much. I'm guessing I probably only can pick color and probably a few options. This is why I am primarily concerned with the base models of the various nameplates.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Instead of guessing, why not ask? What do others with company cars drive? Do you have an option to buy? If so, you can possibly end up with a great car for your wife or kids. Or can you get a cash allowance instead?

The company I worked for some years back used to get cars from Avis. We had to pay for any upgrades, but we also had the option to buy at the end. We all chose to do that and bought for about $1500 less than "retail". Leasing is not about cars, it is about money.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was talking to the lady in our office that deals with these yesterday; she knows what the available models (as in nameplates) for next year will be but not specifics.

Mostly Impalas and last-gen Malibus. Those were the only options for the last couple years. A few people got Saturns when the Malibu was discontinued, so I have seen them in the parking lot. They have "3.5" badges so apparently they are getting at least the regular base model, not the super-strippo four cylinder.

Yes. Although it would probably end up being for me... "my" car (Porsche 944) has become SWMBO's ride of choice :(

No. I wish - I'd be all over a Jetta TDI if that were the case.

Right. I would like to pick something that I wouldn't feel like I was getting a consolation prize if I chose to buy it, like I would with the current Impala.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I formally owned such a company that operated in six eastern states, but we also sold thousands of 'fleet only' vehicles via local dealerships to large an small corporations and governments, as well as doing all of the servicing on those vehicles.

If the cars you get to use are indeed 'leased,' rather than fleet vehicles, than you should be able to get any vehicle you want within the brand(s) your employer chooses and within the price range they determine. Many corporate fleets operate domestic and imported luxury, and exotic cars, as well as fleet type vehicles, for example.

For some companies it is not to their advantage to purchase vehicles, since vehicles are simply one more 'tool' used in their business. As such they are restricted by federal deprecation tax laws to take five years or 300K miles to deprecate the vehicles they use.

By leasing, although it cost more, they can take the lease fee(s) as a cost of doing business in any particular year, much in the same way to take the cost of operating those vehicles. The rental car companies can do the same because vehicles are their 'product' rather than a 'tool,' of their business

I would suggest you ask your employer what brand(s) they use and what their annual cost limit is for your pay grade.

Companies consider the overall cost of obtaining, insuring, maintaining, repairing, and REPLACING the tools used in their business. For the past 30 years Ford Motor Company vehicles have been by far the vehicles of choice, based on years of records of those criteria, GM second.

It was that realization that switched me from buying imports back to domestics, since I replace one of my two primary vehicles every year, over two years. Since

1999, when I switched, I have save thousands in replacement costs and hundred every year on maintenance costs on ten vehicles.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Have you consdered the Malibu Maxx? It's roomy, and at least in its SS iteration, very fast.

Reply to
Ted

Does that mean you had to wear a tux to work?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The new Malibu is on the Epsilon chassis so that may be worth checking out. The LTZ starts at $27000. The 2LT starting at 22k is very well equipped though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It doesn't even exist anymore.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Just wondering if you have tried out an '08 Impala? The car has been redesigned since your '05 was made. It's really popular around here. They even make up a good chunk of our Police force.

80 Knight

No I haven't. Only one coworker has a new(er than mine) Impala, and I've never driven it. Are they really significantly different? That's kind of why I posted, all of the cars under consideration are either new or redesigned, if it comes down to having to find a Chevy dealer and take some test drives, I can do that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When one owns facilities that operate in several states, one does not need to "go to work," period LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The car was completely redesigned. The engines have changed, from the 3.4 and 3.8 to the 3.5 and 3.9, the outside is very different, especially the headlights, taillights and rims. The stereo's have been upgraded, the instrument panel, and seats have also been redesigned. You can also get a "fold-flat" rear seat, which is something you said you wanted, but don't have in your '05. The body has been made stronger, the suspension retuned, and the braking system improved. I see quite a few of them on the roads around here, especially being drive by Police. We actually have more Impala's then we do Crown Vic's, and let me tell you, the one black stealth Impala Interceptor we have is a damned find looking car...as long as you don't see it in your rear-view mirror, with it's lights flashing :-P

Anyhow, all that information came from edmunds.com (who usually hate domestic), so feel free to look it up if you want more info. As for the car itself, I haven't driven one, but I do love the look. If you think it may be too big for your driveway, that is definitely a good reason to consider something smaller, but if I were you, I would at least go to your local Chevy dealer and give it a test drive to get an impression of it before deciding.

I wish you luck with whichever car you choose, Nate.

Reply to
80 Knight

One does not need to go to work when one maintains a fictitious work history for spouting off on Usenet, either.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK, now what "families" are the new engines part of? Is the 3.5 an evolution of the 2.8/3.1/3.4 family or something completely new? What's the 3.9 based off of, if anything? I've heard enough bad about the 2.8 based engines I'd prefer to stay away from them if I could.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My apologies Nate. This post must have gotten lost on my newserver. As for the families of motors, Mike Marlow or Steve would be better suited to answer that question.

Reply to
80 Knight

Formally vs. formerly.

Reply to