Nissan to Buy GM!!!!??

Document that statement. (Toyota and Chinese production for the U.S.)

Reply to
nopcbs

If you look at the top models they are closer to $1000. IMO, the Civic is a much sharper looking car. I've not driven, or even sat in them, so I can't make a comparison other than looks and the Civic wins. People also put a lot into the MT award too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Based on the "quality" of the first Foci, you can't hardly blame buyers from staying away. I would. I had a friend that worked for Ford when the Focus first came out; he let me drive his new car (he was very proud of it) and I have to admit that I was impressed at how well it drove for a small, inexpensive American car. After seven recalls in the first year, however, his opinion rapidly changed... This is the kind of rep the American mfgrs. have to overcome if they are ever going to come back. GM is not immune either, remember the Fiero? They finally turned it into the car it should have been when it was introduced, right before they killed it. You don't let your customers do your beta testing for you and expect to be a leader (unless you're Microsoft, and that still boggles my mind.)

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Certain Big 3 cars were junk in the 70s, such as some Chrysler products.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Renault saved Nissan by chopping staff and upgrading designs. Nissan knows the USA market well, obviously better than GM, so could wake up GM.

Reply to
who

Agreed. That is actually what I meant, but should give a big kudo to Hyundai.. They have made massive leaps in quality. China CAN do the same thing..They certainly have it within their grasp to produce quality items.

Reply to
<HLS

Renault really does have a shitteaux image here, and they deserved it. They have improved their product quality greatly. Going back 4-5 years, the Renaults I have driven in Europe are quiet, smooth as glass, powerful. But winning a customer base with the Renault logo is going to take a lot of work.

Reply to
<HLS

Trying to sell anything in the USA that is considered French has no chance in hell in this political environment, unless of course the product is Champagne or perfume or you are NYC/San Francisco.

The thing about French cars that I remember well is that no mechanic except one with a deranged mind could understand the engineering.

Reply to
dbltap

You mean like the 'Car of the year' MT awarded to the AMC Alliance? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

A recall simply means the manufacture has discover a problem in the field, or on the assemble line, and wants to fix it for FREE.

Ford did with the Focus what the Japanese have been doing for years, sell the vehicle in other markets to flesh it out before bringing it to the US. If you would research the recalls for the 2000 Focus you will discover they were minor, effected few vehicles and applied mostly to vehicles not yet delivered to customers at the time. The competitors of the Focus like the Civic, and the Corolla, also had numerous recalls.. They were minor and did not apply to all that were build as well.

In any event that was then. Today Fords new vehicles have been trouble free and out scored the Camry and the Accord, in that survey of owners.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Really? GM outsells Nissan at least twenty-five to one in the US. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You better expect the chinese cars sooner or later. THey are making very fast progress, and doing growing in many class c and b markets. THey just need a few years to infilitrate a class markets. check

pics and info

ash

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Reply to
Chinacarforums

There is no reason for the Renault name to be re-introduced into the US market. If they have something really special to sell they can always call it a Nissan.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I just went through this a month and a half ago, compare something people will be more likely to buy, not the Si and the SS:

2006 Cobalt LS Sedan 2.2L, Mileage - 25/34, Base MSRP $13,490.00 What you get in the BASE Cobalt that the base model Civic doesn't have: A/C 60/40 split folding rear seat (Civic folds but not 60/40 in the DX) 5 Year powertrain warranty 2006 Civic DX Sedan 1.8L, Mileage - 30/38, Base MSRP $14,760.00 What you get in a BASE Civic that the base model Cobalt doesn't have: ABS 6 Air Bags Floor mats MP3 CD Player Power Windows Tilt and Telescoping steering column

Also good to point out that a 2002 Cavalier can be had for between $4,500CDN and $13,000CDN while a 2002 Civic goes for $6,600CDN to $20,000CDN.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Do you think a folding seat and a smaller engine is worth $1,500? A four year old Honda should be worth more, it cost more than the difference when new. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What? I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

The premise is not correct there is no way Renault and/or Nilsson could buy up GM stock. What was propose, by one of GM major stock holders, was an alliance between the three companies. The purpose is so GM can take advantage of the economies of scale of world wide R&D and use more of the less expensive 'world sourced parts to assemble vehicles in the US,' as does Toyota in the US.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't do home work for my own grand children, what makes you think I would do yours? Search 'Automotive News,' for the pertinent information you seek, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That makes absolutely no difference to the customers who had to repeatedly bring their vehicles back to the dealership and be without them for days at a time. The Japanese have a reputation of not doing this. The US mfgrs. have a reputation of doing this repeatedly. It will take years of consistently high quality vehicles for this perception to be reversed.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
N8N

You forgot to say in my opinion. I have owned a lot of vehicles, both domestic and foreign and I do not find that to be a true statement. I had to begin litigation before Honda agreed to replace an engine on my daughters new vehicle, because of a blown oil seal, to make them do so.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter