Ping Ian (shiden_kai)

Hey Ian:

Is there a procedure to re-program a 2003 Grand Am so that the doors unlock when it's put in park? The only options in the manual don't include this, but almost every other GM product in the world can be programmed to work this way. As it is now, you have to shut the car off for the door locks to open.

TIA

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Why would you want to get out and leave the engine running?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I can think of several reasons. Does it really matter?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

It doesn't look like you can do this....see below.

Vehicle Personalization Modes of Operation Automatic Door Locks (Manual Trans) The following are the modes of operation for the automatic door locks feature:

a.. Mode 1: All of the doors lock when the vehicle speed exceeds 8 km/h (5 mph). All of the doors will unlock when the transaxle is shifted into REVERSE (R) and the key is turned to OFF. Mode 2: if equipped with RKE All of the doors lock when the vehicle speed exceeds 8 km/h (5 mph). Only the driver door unlocks when the transaxle is shifted into REVERSE (R) the key is turned to OFF. b.. Mode 3: All of the doors lock when the vehicle speed exceeds 8 km/h (5 mph). No automatic door unlock. c.. Mode 4: No automatic door lock or unlock. Automatic Door Locks (Automatic Trans) The following are the modes of operation for the automatic door locks feature:

a.. Mode 1: All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK. All of the doors unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK and the key is turned to OFF. b.. Mode 2: All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK. Only the driver door unlocks when the vehicle is shifted into PARK and the key is turned to OFF. c.. Mode 3: All of the doors lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK. No automatic door unlock. d.. Mode 4: The automatic door lock feature is disabled.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Can't you think of a hundred reasons?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks Ian. That's what the owner's manual describes too. I was hoping that perhaps there were other programming capabilities that you folks were privy to, which were not in the manual. Oh well... I've fairly well gotten used to hitting the unlock button when I go to get out of the car.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I can think of one for not doing so, it is unlawful in every state of which I am aware.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Really? I find that odd. I wonder how you then would legally check your automatic trans fluid.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

On private property that should not be a problem. We have a 'Stop and Rob' down the street where the local cops make it a habit of citing drivers that go inside and let their vehicle unattended and running. They leave a $98 citation on the car and a note to pick up the keys at the precinct ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Wrong. Please provide the statute for at least three states.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And you can't think of any other reasons to want to open the car doors while the engine is running?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't do home work for my own grand children why would I do yours? If you want to lean something for a change start with a search of Title #75 in PA, then you can search New York, New Jersey and Delaware

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

YOU made the statement. Least you could do is provide proof of it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

None of which state that it is illegal to open your car doors with your engine still running. You lose again Mike.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Substantiating your own statement is not doing someone else's homework Mike. The gauntlet that has been cast before you is to simply validate your own statement. As has proven quite common in your rhetoric Mike, it is you who is suggesting that another do your homework. You made the assertion - you demonstrate that it's more than just hot air.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

He's right though. It is illegal, at least for sure on public roadways but I think also even in places considered "public" like store parking lots etc. On your own private property though, it's okay. At least in my state.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

It may be illegal in some states to leave your car running - as in, to walk away from it, but it is far from illegal to exit your car while it is running. There are plenty of reasons why one would do so. At that, it's a sideline to the original point though. There are other occupants besides a driver who might have cause to exit a car.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

To the contrary, like everything else in life if you choose not to believe something you can search the subject to prove or disprove its validly if you choose. If you need footnotes buy a book

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If you say so, but where is YOUR proof? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

He asked to provide the statures and I did. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter