Re: Coolent System Service

Hope you all had a great Fourth of July.... nice weather for a

> change.... > > I'm due for a 30K coolent service and browsed the sunday papers > looking for prices and service. Something confused me...( well, > lots of things confuse me)..... > > The dealer advertises "Drain, Flush and Refill" > > The newspaper car shop advertise, "Radiator Drain and Refill". > > I'm assuming that "Drain, Flush and Refill, means dumping the fluid, > filling with water and a flushing chemical, running engine with > thermostat opens, and then draining all the water and flushing > chemicals, and filling the cooling system with a 50/50 mix. > > > I'm assuming that "Drain Radiator and refill" means just draining > the radiator and refilling it with the proper mixture. Done with cold > engine and thermostat closed. No flushing chemicals. > > > Does GM actually require to flush the cooling system completely at > 30K intervals.....or does the dealer just drain and refill the > radiator, i.e. same service as a shop but a fancier name.. > > Doesn't flushing a cooling system require a lot of water to get all > the chemicals out??? Purpose of Dexcool was to conserve > resources.... i.e. 5 year 150,000 mile, but the auto > manufacturer wants me to drain and flush every 30,000 miles, using up > a lot of antifreeze and polluting a lot of water. > > Damn am I becoming confused !!!!
Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

THey do a back flush to remove all the rust. At 30k leave it alone. Think about it in another 30k.

Reply to
Tj

Thanks all !!!

Looks like 60K it is !! I'll also make sure the service provided includes the back flush instead of just a radiator drain and refill.

Thanks again..

Reply to
2002 Monte Carlo