*WARNING* Changing spark plugs on 2003 S-10 w/ 2.2L

I've done mechanical work on cars since the mid-60's and have never come across such an engineering screwup as I did today.

I was attempting to install new spark plugs in my 2003 S-10 with the 2.2l

4 cyl.

On cylinder #3, counting from the front of the engine, the air conditioning mounting bracket overhangs the bore in the cylinder head for inserting the spark plug socket. If you tap the socket down past the bracket, like I did, removal is impossible with the plug removed and in the socket. Even reinserting the old plug I was unable to remove the socket. Thirty minutes of thinking and thrashing and cursing GM engineers, I was finally able to liberate my socket with judicious use of a cold chisel and hammer (After I discarded the idea of using the acetylene torch), and return my now 3 cylinder engine back to 4 cylinder operation, albeit with old plugs.

Obviously engineered by someone at GM who never worked on cars.

Jim

Reply to
George Jetson

That is what a dealership means when they say in their ads. "We have all of the special tools needed to work on you vehicle."

A while back the FWD small Chryslers with the Mitsubishi V6 engine designed for use with RWD, one had to loosen the mounts and jack up the engine to change the filter. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I changed the plugs on my 2000 and the brackets were in the way, but it was real easy to unbolt the brackets and even the compressor and move them out of my way. The whole job took less than an hour.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Remember the Chevrolet Monza? (Just after the Vega?!?!) IIRC, the ones w/v-8 engines needed the engine support on driver's side removed to get to the rear plug(s). s

Reply to
sdlomi2

No no no. Rather than doing it the right way, he'd rather beat on his truck with a hammer and chisel then blame it on GM engineering.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Isn't it strange how blowing out more birthday candles gives us more time?--to think!...........some call it patience. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Swivel socket = special tool?

Specifically?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Which car and which engine ? I don't recall that ever happening.

Reply to
Mike

I that is the case, my guess would be you were not born yet ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, specifically, the small Chryslers with the Mitsubishi V6 engine, ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

There are most likely many more as well. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Considering that todays engine can easily be run to 100K before one needs to change the plugs it is a minor inconvenience. Especially when the alternative is to buy one that has 4cy engine that leaves the car underpowered ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How about you choose from this list;

Omni/Horizon Neon Shadow/Sundance Spirit/Acclaim/ Lebaron

Reply to
aarcuda69062

He -is- talking about a 4 cylinder.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

If it has a four, why would he need special tolls to remove the plugs? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Only the ones that used the Mitsubishi V6 engine.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, I worked in a Chrysler dealership for years, and I worked on the Spirit/Acclaim line that came with the Mitsu v-6. Don't remember having to loosen the mounts and jack up the engine to change a filter. You probably talked to some mechanic who didn't know what the hell he was doing. Either that, or you didn't know what the hell you were doing when you tackled that particular vehicle.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Wrong cars

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ok, I also worked on the later line of cars with the Mitsu v-6 (smaller version then the 3.0 I believe)....same thing, don't recall having to jack up anything or remove any engine mount to get a filter off.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well, he did provide for that in the list. Spirit/Acclam/Lebaron....all used the Mitsubishi v-6 engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai