Why are all these people knocking GM ?????????

We bought a ticket to be here by having supported GM cars for years.

Reply to
hls

Yes, they are my experiences. That is why I recently bought a Hyundai. Is it better? I can't tell you for about 5 more years. It is not just a matter or things breaking. Anything mechanical will eventually wear out or break, no matter what the brand. There are ways though, of designing parts to last longer, there are ways of working with the customer when things do break at a bad time. GM pissed me off when my heated seat broke in the second winter (but beyond 36k miles) and was unwilling to help me with a reasonable solution. It went downhill from there. GM was too late in giving a decent warranty also. 36k is nothing on a car today.

I've owned 23 cars. Most have been GM. Most have been good. Overall, any car bought today is better than any car bought years ago, but that does not mean they are as good as they can be. Best value in a car? The Karmen Ghia I bought for $15 comes in second to the Pontiac Tempest I bought for $50, drove for a year, and sold back to the original owner for $100.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You don't get my meaning. Everyone has the 'right' to be in a newsgroup. What I am asking is why would you want to be in one, where all you do is bitch and moan? I, for example, don't like Honda's, but I don't go to the Honda newsgroup and bitch about how ugly there cars are. I also don't watch Survivor, and you won't find me there either. Like I said, everyone has the right to be in any group, but it is rather Trollish to only participate negatively.

Reply to
80 Knight

That was the start. Broken window lifts, switches, transmission had to be rebuild, wheel bearings, ignition module, and some other assorted things. Too many, too soon. It is now my wife's car and will get much less miles on it.

I almost stayed with GM, but then I drove a Hyundai Sonata and really like it. I've put 6200 miles on it so far and like the way it handles. A lot of nice features for the money. At this stage, it is a great car. Only time and 100,000 miles will tell the real story.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed, the constant bitching and moaning from these people is very annoying. This thread is also way over due for the grave.

Reply to
HeatWave

I've voiced my opinion on this matter a couple of times, directly to the Death Watch Guard. I'm no believer in GM, right or wrong, but I've been a GM guy for decades. I'm very disappointed in some of the longstanding issues that GM has put us through, like the 60 degree gasket issues, and I believe GM has brought a great deal of their current distress upon themselves, but on the other hand I don't care to see the GM Is Dying, It Ain't Soon Enough threads. There's those who cross post their stuff and bring nothing to this group besides clutter, and I'd just as soon see them take their rants to some other group.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 19:54:11 +0000, hls got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

You're ASSuming I have the thread loaded in my newsreader. I don't do that and to ASSume I do is rude.

No, it just makes sense.

Right, so your post was worthless.

Then trim the irrelevant material.

Reply to
PerfectReign

I started to read your post with interest, but it was so disjointed, I gave up. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I *remember* good GM vehicles. Heck, my dad still has one in his driveway. I'm here because a) I do have a fondness for the older GM products and b) I currently have an '05 Impala as a company car (no choice in the matter.) Is it wrong to stand up and express my honest opinion when people say things like "you're unpatriotic if you don't buy GM" or "there's no difference between a GM car and (insert import maker of your choice here)" or should I just nod and say yes, you're right, GM certainly doesn't have any ergonomic, performance, or quality issues these days and public perception of their inferiority must simply be a mass delusion?

Personally I think we do GM and ourselves a disservice by not expressing our dislike of their current product offerings and not encouraging them to build the products that we really want to buy.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You keep saying the same things over an over but the fact of the mater is more American still buy millions more vehicles from GM than any import. Obviously your opinion has not contributed to who buys what, so why do you keep saying the same things about GM in a GM NG, where most buyer disagree with what you have to say about how bad you think their vehicles might be? If you don't like what GM has to offer, buy something else and stop complaining here

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

(top posting fixed)

Of course I keep saying the same things. Your posts do nothing to change the FACTS that my Impala is an annoying POS, the FACT the widespread perception of American buyers is that American cars are of inferior design and quality to imports, and the FACT that imports offer higher resale value, are more pleasant to drive, and generally are more reliable and durable than their American counterparts. Also I don't have time to continuously prove your assertions wrong, but you have been wrong with your sales figures in the past, and I suspect that you don't really check them, you just make shit up.

The problem is that GM is full of apologists like you who just can't understand why we DO buy something else. I would LOVE to see GM healthy and offering something I want to buy. Please, GM, start listening.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Neither Mikey nor GM is apt to listen any time soon, both have a dead end mindset. To think that the Board and Marketing that got GM into this hole is the same set that is going to fix the mess is ludicrous.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:06:04 -0500, Mike Hunter got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Then let's discuss beer.

There's a nice straightforward topic.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Once again you forgot to say in my opinion. You keep saying the same things over and over, but GM stills sells more vehicles than any import, regardless of what you happen to think of GM vehicles. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't own a GM vehicle but GM sales are up for the fourth quarter, according to the latest stockholders report. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I started to read your post with interest, but it was so disjointed, I gave up. I guess you drank too much beer ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

(top posting fixed YET AGAIN)

Again, you keep repeating this over and over, but news reports repeatedly indicate that GM's market share is slipping.

how do you explain that all of the big three are losing market share while every import brand but Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Nissan are gaining? How do you explain that the TOP FOUR passenger cars are the very import models that you consistently deride in your posts? Clearly the general public knows something you don't. Perhaps the only reason you can continue to make your claim is because GM's light truck sales are propping up their abysmal passenger car line?

Wasn't it only a couple decades ago that the Olds Cutlass was far and away the US passenger car sales leader? Not even counting its platform-mates? Seems to me like GM had a good thing going and somehow managed to screw it all up.

nate

Reply to
N8N

By at least doubling their sales? You keep changing the subject from who sells more to who is gaining in the market. Their is no question imports are gaining in the market. Today there are twenty or more bands, not six or so when they sold half of the vehicles sold in the US. The operative term is 'share of the market.' GM sells more vehicles today, although their share of the 18,000,000 vehicles sold is lower than their share when the market was for only around 7,000,000 annually. Trucks counted for less than 10% of sales, today they account for around 50%. Most to the growth in imports over the past ten years has been in trucks as well, not cars The fact is no mater how you try to spin it, GM sells millions more vehicles in the US than any import, period Somebody obviously prefers what they have to offer in the market place, get over it ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Like I said before. You, and everyone else, is free to like and buy what ever they wish. If you like Honda's, that's fine with me. If you hate GM, that fine with me too. All I am saying is there are some people who come in here just to bad mouth GM, it's products, and its customers, and I don't see any reason why they should do that. There is a difference between conversation, and outright saying GM will die, or GM is a gonner, and what have you.

Reply to
80 Knight

Sounds like you had a few problems with your car. I had a car like that a couple of years ago, but it was 14 years old, and had over 300,000 on the clock.

I had a friend once who's parents lived in Toronto, and had a Sonata. I never drove it, but I rode in it once or twice. It seemed like an alright car. The ride was ok, but none better then my (at the time) '91 Grand Prix. It did have a nice CD deck in it though. I just didn't like the look of the car. I believe it was an '02.

Anyhow, I mean no offence to you, or your car, and I hope it lasts hundred's of thousands of miles, and is a great car for you.

Reply to
80 Knight