Why shroud-cover over supercharged engine?

On 98 Buick Regal supercharged 3800, what is the purpose of the plastic shroud (with foam insulation) over the top of the engine? Is it for more uniform expansion of engine....would this minimize the intake manifold gasket problem? What are other possible theories? What effect if it is removed?

Reply to
Gene Gardner

(with foam insulation)

engine....would this minimize the

effect if it is removed?

It does two things. One- Noise reduction. Two- Cosmetics

Reply to
Steve W.

It makes it look nicer. You can take it off, or leave it on. Makes no difference. I leave mine on, becuase, like I said, it makes it look nicer.

Reply to
80 Knight

(with foam insulation)

engine....would this minimize the

effect if it is removed?

It is there to keep you from seeing the engine. No one likes seeing engines.

Reply to
« Paul »