2008 Accord looks great

Just when Toyota thinks they dominated the sedan market with Camry, Honda comes out with the brand new Accord to make a challenge.

Toyota already loses the Civic vs. Corolla war, not sure if they want to lose Camry vs. Accord either.

Then again Toyota is making so much money around the world that US market might not mean that much to them as it used to.

Reply to
Doctor Chen

You should post that in the NG where it matters, Honda NG.

Reply to
Fred the Plumber

Dunno. I had my pick of many civics and corollas parked side by side to compare. I ended up going with the corolla. I couldn't adapt to the dark "goth" interiors on the civic. Too gloomy and somewhat cheap looking. I also liked the higher seating platform of the corolla. Makes it feel bigger than it is, and is safer in a crash to small extent. Yes, the car is somewhat gay looking from the rear, but I sit in the inside, not the outside. :/ BTW, I'm not anti honda either.. Said corolla replaced an older accord. Also, I saw the commercials of the new accord, and didn't look too special to me.. Basically just another typical Sazuhondayota as far as I could tell... :/ MK

Reply to
nm5k

Lets see if the Accord gets the Motor Trend Car of the Year =)

Reply to
EdV

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The rear tail lights look like the tail lights from a 2000 Sable.

Reply to
Ray O

And Honda has to come up with a hybrid to compete with the Camry. They do have a coupe which is winner by default =)

Reply to
EdV

The Solara is the coupe version of the Camry.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah - they sport tuned their previous generation Accord Hybrid but it wasn't fuel efficient. I think that killed it. Their '04 & '05 tail lights were butt ugly, too. A friend said it looked like the lights from a Buick. Freshened for '06 & '07 but still not great. New Accords are too big.. More power from the same 2.4 engine and gas mileage goes down. What is Honda thinking?! (And this is coming from an Accord owner).

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

He was 100% correct on THAT one.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

sigh. You aren't paying a BIT of attention to the EPA gas mileage ratings, are you.

We'll be fighting this misperception for years. OK, here goes: the EPA reformulated how it figures gas mileage. As a result, the reported figures overall went down for 2008.

That's right. Even for cars that stayed exactly the same between 07 and

08 showed 08 stickers with lower gas mileage figures.

That the 08 Honda showed lower gas mileage isn't Honda's doing. It simply shows a different formulated number than it would have under the old formula, the one used in 07 and earlier.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The first time I saw the TV ad for the new 4 Door Accord, I thought it was a Saturn Aura, i.e., DULL. However, the new 2 Door Accord is very attractive. Unfortunately they must not be particularly eye catching - I don't recall seeing either a new 4 door or 2 door Accord on the local roads, but then it might be hard to pick them out when I am surrounded by thousands of Camrys.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Like he said, the Accord coupe is a winner by default :)

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I was thinking of a 2007 version for the Solara. By the way, The new Accord is much bigger and will be like the Avalon. In Australia and Asia they have the Aurion (slightly bigger than the Camry) which was initially, I dont know if up to now, called the most powerful FWD car, still a 4 dr sedan.

Reply to
EdV

Now that you mention it, the new 4 Dr. Accord and Saturn Aura do look very similar. There are a few Accords running around the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and one is parked in the lot at my office.

I haven't seen any new Accord coupes, but from the photos on their web site, the nose looks like a Scion tC to me.

Reply to
Ray O

I like the nose of the Accord Coupe but not the back end. The Solara needs a freshening, now that the Accord Coupe is out, the Solara will probably get a facelift.

Reply to
Ray O

My guess is that the most powerful FWD car, at least sold in the U.S., is the V8 Impala.

Reply to
Ray O

I think you are right, but barely, Buick sells the same engine in a LaCrosse, but in that application it is only rated at 300 Hp.

Here is a partial list of front wheel drive cars with at least 200 Hp. I had no idea their were so many (and some othese are available with AWD in addition to FWD).

Chevrolet Impala V-8 - 303 Hp Cadillac DTS - 275 Hp Acura TL - 286 Hp Audi A3 - 250 Hp Audi A4 - 255 Hp Audi A5 - 265 Hp Audi A6 - 255 Hp Audi TT - 200 Hp Buick LaCrosse - 300 Hp Buick Lucerne - 292 Hp Chevrolet Malibu - 252 hp Chrysler Pacifica - 253 Hp Chrylser Sebring - 235 Hp Dodge Avenger - 235 Hp Dodge Caliber - 280 Hp Ford Edge - 265 Hp Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan - 221 Hp Ford Taurus / Mecury Sable - 263 Hp Honda Accord - 268 Hp Hyundai Azera - 263 Hp Hyundai Sonata - 234 Hp Lexus ES - 272 Hp Lincoln MKZ - 263 Hp Mazda6 - 212 Hp Mini Cooper - 207 Hp Mitsubishi Eclipse - 263 Hp Mitsubishi Galant - 258 Hp Mitsubishi Lancer - 295 Hp Nissan Altima - 270 Hp Nissan Maxima - 255 Hp Pontiac G6 - 252 Hp Saab 9-3 - 280 Hp Saab 9-5 - 250 Hp Scion tC - 200 Hp Toyota Avalon - 268 Hp Toyota Camry - 268 Hp Volkswagen GTI - 250 Hp Volkswagen Passat - 265 Hp

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

There have been FWD cars with => 200 HP for some time.

I th>> My guess is that the most powerful FWD car, at least sold in the

Reply to
Jeff

great list The Aurion, supercharged V6 camry, is 323 Hp but not sold in the US. It doesn't come with AWD.

Reply to
EdV

Holy horsepower Batman! I had no idea there were so many FWD vehicles with so much horsepower either!

Reply to
Ray O