92 Civic Won't Fire Plugs

I know what you say is the problem and the dealer appears to be happy to oblige your foolishness.

Reply to
jim

I rolled the window up. 8-)

Reply to
JD

The repairs cost $1,226.04 for parts, labor and sales tax on the part.

The car has been at the dealer since the middle of June.

The dealer did not charge me for the second ignition and labor: $523.72

The dealer did not charge me for the new igniter and coil in the distributor: $308. I have no idea what their labor would be for that but they didn't charge me for that either.

They didn't charge me for any of the above because none of that fixed the problem.

They did charge me $325 for diagnostics and to replace a part and they charged me $75 for the tow to the dealership since the problem was not from their earlier repairs. So labor was $400.

They charged me $866.04 for a new Engine Control Module and sales tax on the part.

I've only driven the car home. It didn't stall and it started but it's done that for up to three months until it fails. So time will tell. The technician says he was able to have the problem occur on a regular basis by starting the car and then letting it come to operating temperature and letting it set for 15 minutes and then it wouldn't start. He said it no longer does that.

The dealer kept me appraised of the situation and never charged me for anything until I agreed to the price.

If you don't hear from me then the problem is fixed. May be a few months before I know for sure.

Now I don't want to sell it. It drives like a little sports car. SOB is fast and responsive for an 18 year old car.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help. 8-)

Reply to
JD

that sounds typical for main relay. $45 and about 10 minutes to diagnose /IF/ you know what you're doing. if you paid them with your credit card, you can use the credit card company to dispute the charge if they've misdiagnosed. time will tell.

Reply to
jim beam

I guess I forgot to mention that. They replaced the main relay and it did not solve the problem. The ECM was their last choice. I'm sorry that I'm not a Honda savant but even with all the recent repairs this 18 year old Civic has cost me less than $900 a year. That isn't bad.

The dealership guarantees their work for 3 years or 50,000 miles. As you say, time will tell. 8-)

Reply to
JD

vital info!

good. at your mileage, it should serve you another 18. enjoy!

Reply to
jim beam

Thanks!

I've thought it was repaired before. It took about four months before the problem reoccurred. The dealer repair guy said he was able to reproduce the problem with consistency and the only thing thing didn't work properly was the ECM. Something about incorrect voltage coming out of the ECM? I have a second car so I can test the Civic without being stranded too far from home.

If I don't post back then it's good to go. 8-)

Reply to
JD

Thus spake JD :

At this point you need to get another $1300 worth of driving out of the sucker.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron