'99 Odyssey Won't Crank Over - Intermittent

A few days ago, the van would not crank over when trying to start. No sound from the starter or relay either. Had it towed to a Honda repair shop and everything checked out OK - battery, connections, alternator, starter, etc... Also (of course) the van started right up for them. Now this has happened a couple more times, so it's very intermittent. It's in the repair shop again, but I suspect they will not find any problems again due to the intermittent nature. From the first time it was in the shop, they suggested that maybe it was the starter, but wanted $400 plus to replace it. I have found referbs for about $140, and new ones for about $250. Any ideas what else it might be? How hard is it to replace the starter?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Merp

"Merp" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

check this site out first;

It cost me $30 PPD to rebuild my starter's solenoid. The hard part was getting the lower starter bolt loose in such tight quarters.(Only two bolts hold the starter to the engine.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If there's absolutely no click, did you try moving the shifter to NEUTRAL, as mentioned in the owner's manual? (surely the dealership already told you to try that before TOWING). Even the tow truck operator should have tried it.

Read this TSB: It also applies to just about every Honda ever built.

I just did the adjustment on my '97 CR-V and it helped a lot.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'