for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

On 03/30/2010 06:05 PM, ACAR wrote:

superstition beats science every time - there's /always/ some superstitious excuse.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Just ask the folks who are holding their breaths to get on a jury for a Toyota lawsuit, so they can justify their superstition by awarding a huge settlement to people who are CLEARLY the victims of cosmic rays banging on their ECUs and gas pedals.
On 03/31/2010 04:38 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

that cosmic ray story was a typical microsoft bullshit excuse for writing crappy code. then came linux that didnt crash running on the same machine and yet another bullshit ignorant superstition was exploded.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 03/30/10 21:05, ACAR wrote:

Hoo, boy, where'd you get THAT?
I have a bridge you'll love!
:)
On 03/30/2010 06:05 PM, ACAR wrote:

eh??? have you any idea how long it takes to get a drug approved? how much testing is involved? [rhetorical - because you clearly don't.]

no, tests provide proof. inability to pay attention to that proof is idiocy.

yeah, i'm the guy that makes shit happen. you're the idiot that just stands about with your thumb up your ass bitching about stuff you don't understand.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

uh, YOU were the one making a comparison with drugs. the comment I made had nothing to do with process, only the result. try to keep up.

Not poorly designed tests. They prove nothing. In fact, they often lead to the wrong conclusions. Just like in this case.

that you make shit happen; that I can believe.
you're the idiot that just

and how many papers in scientific journals have you published?
yeah, that's what I thought.

I've always thought the 3,000 mile habit is stupid and wasteful for the average passenger car. Mine typically go 5-6,000, another benefit of changing my own is that I leave a lot less old oil in the pan than the average Jiffy Lube by letting it drain all night.

Mark wrote:

Does that really matter?
Of course, not going to Jiffy Mistakes is a good idea.
Jeff

On 03/30/2010 07:40 AM, dr_jeff wrote:

of course not. the percentage difference it makes is vanishingly small. and that's not including the fact that some engines have oil deliberately pooled in locations that don't drain - to protect cam shafts for instance. new oil simply dilutes - unless the engine is completely stripped and cleaned, it's never a complete "change".

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

Then there's the risk that your wife will drive it to work in the morning, not knowing there's no oil in the engine...

On the other hand, changing the oil yourself will significantly cut down on other needed repairs to your vehicle because it eliminates the opportunity for other hands to cause problems.

You'd think that being parked on a pair of ramps would clue her in that something was going on...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Mark wrote:

Or pull the coil wire....
If there are other pools of oil in the engine, why doesn't the oil turn dark right away? What is the percentage difference between 5% old oil left and 1%? Think it's 4%?

On 03/31/2010 05:33 AM, Mark wrote:

<fixed top posting>
> If there are other pools of oil in the engine, why doesn't the oil > turn dark right away? What is the percentage difference between 5% > old oil left and 1%? Think it's 4%? > >
like i said - dilution.
suggest you go to a junk yard and look at a few engines with the rocker cover removed - you'll see examples of these pooling features and the camshafts that sit in them. honda d-series is one example.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 03/31/10 09:43, jim beam wrote:

Dilution with what? <serious question, not trying to be snarky>
On 4/2/2010 2:06 AM Tony Harding spake these words of knowledge:

The fresh oil.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
numbers, and those who don't.
On 04/02/2010 12:06 AM, Tony Harding wrote:

fresh oil. even 90% fresh oil [a low dilution rate] is indistinguishable in performance from 100%.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 04/03/10 12:36, jim beam wrote:

Oh, that, hadn't occurred to me. I was puzzled as what you werediluting the oil with - fuel? Water? Thanks for the feedback.