for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

yeah. my civic with 20k mile oil change intervals is 500% broken.

Reply to
jim beam

In case you haven't noticed. Mr. Bean is simply promoting recreational oil an analysis.

Reply to
jim

Maybe the scored cam lobe in that picture will really impress Honda.

Reply to
jim

wow, someone actually noticed!!! 10 points.

that cam lobe got marked when i did the head gasket in a hurry and didn't clean up - it was grit during reassembly and it's been that way for 51k miles now. as you know if you have experience of this stuff, for that surface with those same marks to persist this long, without being scuffed off as normally happens, is a truly extraordinary testament to a superior lubricant.

google this group for a longer write-up i posted a while ago.

Reply to
jim beam

That is not fact it is simply the story you cooked up. Regardless of what may or may not have happened to your particular engine, it is not uncommon to see this sort of engine damage happen to someone who changes oil at 10000 miles and experiences a head gasket leak.

Basically what happens is the sudden introduction of a small amount of antifreeze into the oil will overwhelm the additives in the oil that are designed to hold small particles of dirt in suspension. When these tiny particles that usually do no harm are no longer capable of being held in suspension, they will agglomerate into larger particles. That is, the tiny particles will be attracted to each other and form into larger masses. The damage those larger particles (before they reach the oil filter) can do looks exactly like the score marks on your cam.

-jim

Reply to
jim

sorry buddy, is is fact - i personally did the work that caused that marking, witnessed the condition of the cam before the work, witnessed the grit that was stuck on the cam lobes by oil film, and the condition immediately after start-up - which is just like you see now. i assembled the motor in spite of the fact that it was going to be damaged by the grit because i was in a hurry and was thinking i'd get rid of this motor anyway. all it had to do was last one weekend.

whoops, does that expose your denial and ignorance? [rhetorical]

more bullshit. cam lobes do wear and score, but you can't see this cam up close like i can, and the fine surface detail is completely different from simple wear and lubrication failure.

bullshit. the reality is that if you have antifreeze in the coolant, [which mine never had btw, quite apart from the fact that the cam was not scored before i gritted it] you interrupt the oil film continuity and thus the hydrodynamic separation. particularly on cams at low speeds. but the surface features of such damage are that of scuffing and surface tearing - classic lube failure. mine is that of hard particle abrasion - very obvious difference. i'd invite you over to inspect personally, but i don't think your objective is that of discovery

you really have to learn not to bullshit about stuff you don't know. or not to deny reality when it's presented to you with history and photo evidence.

Reply to
jim beam

You never put antifreeze in the coolant? That's odd. Where do you put antifreeze?

How does antifreeze in the coolant interrupt the oil film? I could see that if antifreeze were in the oil, but in the coolant?

Sorry, couldn't resist?

How does antifreeze interrupt the oil film? Does it act like a soap, dissolving it? I imagine alcohol or hand sanitizer (which 60% ethanol) does the same thing. Just like soap disrupts the oil film or whatever on my hands when I wash after checking the oil?

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

So?

So what? I mean, it makes you look like an idiot, but other than that it doesn't contradict what I said.

In your world everything is simple - simple to the point of being ridiculous.

Clean and fresh oil will absorb more antifreeze without causing damage than dirty oil will.

As I said whether or not your story about that particular engine and that particular cam is factual is quite irrelevant. That picture shows exactly what damage from mixing a small amount of antifreeze with dirty engine oil can look like. The particles of dirt that form in the oil can cause scratch marks that look just exactly like that. Won't happen if the oil is clean.

You seem to be of the impression that nobody has noticed all the lies that you have been caught telling. You seem to be laboring under the impression that you are like the Pope and just because you say it there will be others who will automatically accept it is true.

A scratched cam lobe is testimony to superior lubrication in a world where the flying pigs and pink elephants have taken over.

Reply to
jim

well spotted.

it physically breaks it up.

this is how soaps work.

jim beam

eh? can't you just admit the facts? [rhetorical]

yes it does contradict what you said. you were supposing this was typical lube failure and wear. it's not.

yeah, right - something that contradicts your bullshit supposition and ignorance is ridiculous...

eh? are you trying to deny your mistake in assuming the wrong wear mechanism???

it absolutely is relevant. you presumed an entirely different mechanism than reality. just like your "particle agglomeration" bullshit.

no it doesn't. and to say it does is absolutely ridiculous when you're working from an out-of-focus photo. it's even more ridiculous when you've been told the history of how it arose!

bullshit. hard particles don't make it past the filter [ignoring of course that your "antifreeze agglomeration" doesn't exist]. water particles however interrupt the oil film and thus the hydrodynamic layer and allow direct metal-to-metal contact. real freakin' simple.

wow dude, you really have a reality/ignorance problem. and it's sad to see an individual that can't tell the difference between fact and bullshit so pathetically cling to their mistakes, fabrications and delusions.

idiot. the fact that hard particle scratching /has not been worn off/ is testimony. but you're too ignorant of the facts and too closed-minded to reality to understand that.

Reply to
jim beam

I was thinking of extending the interval, but when I looked for an oil change interval in my manual I couldn't find one (!?) Haynes specifies a 3000 mile interval for both the '96 and '99.

Funny how Mobil doesn't say extended intervals are ok...

I guess I'll just replace oil and filter at 5k...

Reply to
Michael

Actually the detergents and dispersants "act like soap" and have the effect of keeping all sorts of stuff in solution in the oil - including antifreeze. This works as long as the additives aren't overwhelmed with too much "stuff". Acts like soap means its similar but a bit different. In the case of washing your hands the solvent is the water. Oil is a different type of solvent, different soap, but the same general idea.

Reply to
jim

usage:

yes they do - they specifically give mileages for the following: clean 5000 clean 7500 m1 extended performance - 15000.

Reply to
jim beam

Apparently, glycol is even nastier for oil than I suspected:

It chemically reacts with different things, doesn't dissolve well in oil and makes acid.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Weird... my Wal Mart Mobil 1 didn't seem to specify. Maybe if I read the Spanish translation... :o

Michael

Reply to
Michael

yeah, it agglomerates soot particles to Hrc >50 too. not.

Reply to
jim beam

Incorrect. The only thing I supposed is that you are an idiot. And everything you say only strengthens that supposition. I specifically stated i was not supposing anything about the engine. The cause of your damage is undefined. I was just pointing out that other engines can get damage that looks just like that. It may surprise you, but scratches like this on the cam lobes don't only happen when some idiot takes the head off and pours dirt on it and puts it back together.

Even according to your story. There were hard particles that did damage before the filter could remove them.

And I didn't say the antifreeze agglomerates. I said the dirt that is being held in suspension agglomerates as a result of the introduction of antifreeze into dirty oil. This isn't that hard a concept to test. just pour a small amount of antifreeze into our oil about 10 miles before your next oil change.

Yeah well your not the first person ever to call not believing in the infallibility of the pope a "reality/ignorance problem".

Reply to
jim

recommendations!

usage:

look again. all my local's stock at least 4 of the 5 listed here:

jim beam

You should try the Mobil 1 FAQ Site at

or
. If you follow the product links you can find the Mobil 1 suggeted life for their products.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 says the following: "Provides outstanding engine protection at oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first." (from

The "Standard" Mobil 1 product data sheet doesn't include a life claim (see

). The FAQ at
explains the difference between standard Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Mr. Bean has a wealth of ignorance about motor oil. It is well known that coolant contamination can impair dispersancy which leads to drop out of dirt suspended in the oil.

Here is a quote from the same

site quoted above.

[quote] Detecting glycol using the blotter spot test can be difficult because of the coolant?s effects on a lubricant?s dispersancy. Coolant contamination forms acids in crankcase oil affecting soot dispersancy, even at low soot loading. Glycol contamination can also form destructive ?oil balls? and additive precipitation when thermally aged in crankcase lubricants. When a drop of lubricant contaminated with glycol is placed on the chromatographic paper, the soot particles can be agglomerated due to dispersant depletion and will not travel. A dark or brownish stain in the center of the spot could be due to disrupted dispersancy and soot coagulation, a common consequence of glycol contamination. A black sticky paste with a well-defined (sharp edge) periphery is cause for serious concern. When glycol is present, a soot ring often develops around a yellow/brown center (Figure 3). [end quote]

Now we will hear from Mr. Bean. The guy who is always whining about cites, when given an actual cite, will insist they don't know what they are talking about.

-jim

Reply to
jim