Metal grinding sound from engine

When I start up my 1993 Honda civiv ex I notice a mtal grinding sound coming from I think the engine. When I am driving the car I am also noticing the sound ...could be the belts or is there something wrong w/the engine???

Reply to
piperspost

---------------------

Hmmmmmm. Oil light burnt out last year ? ?

Seriously, look inside the distributor for red dust (rust). Report back.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Have you opened your hood to see if anything is amiss?

Reply to
Brian Smith

Could be anything. Worse/scariest sound I ever heard was from under the hood of a Prelude like 82? 84? which sounded like it thrown all the rods, not just one. Worse, because it was a friend of mine's and I was just about to return it. turns out, I had left it with the (huge) hood up for a while when I went in, and the wind had slammed the hood shut and folded the support rod in half, so that the new elbow on it was just long enough to clang on a pulley.

The problem is now fixed, it ended up being an idle pulley

Reply to
piperspost

thanks for posting follow-up.

Reply to
jim beam

just had the same failure on my 98 civic.

I replaced the idler pulley several years ago, with OEM parts ($65 IIRC). This time I went aftermarket, $38.

Be sure not to overtension the belt.

jim beam wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com