Odometer Class Action Suit?

The issue is really the odometer which does cost money by accelerating depreciation, maintenance intervals, trade-in intervals and warranty expiration. The odometer and speedometer do not necessarily have the same error.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

odometer/speedometer inconsistency is true, but even if the odometer is off, what impact does it have? what's the difference between a 30k mile car and a 33k mile car in value? it will affect you if you lease a car, [which incidentally is a very high proportion of bmw "sales"] and you go over your lease mileage limits, but again, the manufacturer wins - no incentive for them to erode the 10% "slop" they're allowed. and how are you going to "prove" a problem? "sorry sir, you can't have had your tires inflated properly."

Reply to
jim beam

Got a Garmin c320 GPS for Christmas. Checked my speedo on a long trip yesterday, and much like the street-side police checks, the GPS shows my speed as within 1MPH at all ranges.

They certainly have gotten better over the years!

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I read a sci-fi short story many years ago called "The Marching Morons." (IIRC) One of the major facets of the theme of a populace ignorant of the stupidity of their lives was found in their cars. The protagonist came from present day to find himself in that future, and when he was driven somewhere in a "modern" car he noticed irregularities. The speedometer swiftly hit 300 mph and there were sparks blowing past the window, but the scenery moved past at about 35 mph and the time it took to get to their destination was more consistent with 35 mph than 300. But... everybody was happy!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

They filed the suit so the lawyers could collect $9.8 million in legal fees from Honda!

I'm sure that if Honda odometers consistently read LOW, the same four lawyers would file in behalf of purchasers of used Hondas.

Texas' tort reform has chased these small fry lawyers > Bill Radio wrote:

Reply to
al.romig

I am a Honda owner and am furious. I received a copy of the "settlement" in the mail yesterday. The only ones benefiting from the suit are the attorneys that filed the case. The only benefit I can get is "any out of pocket expenses occurring between "Mile 36,000" and "Mile 37,800". If the mileage on the odometer is incorrect, then 1) the MPG is not as good as was promoted and the advertising that factored into my decision to buy a Honda was false; 2) both of the trip meters also incorrectly state miles traveled; 3) Honda owners can not sell their used Hondas for their actual value since the odometer reading, which is a factor in the sales price, will overstate the actual miles driven; 4) vehicle usage taxes owed will be erroneously high, due to the overstated odometer.

chand

Gord> >

Reply to
clodhoppers18

This implies that the odometers are reading 5% high. Therefore you get a 5% extension in your warranty. That seems fair.

Have you checked it?

The odometer does not affect your actual mileage of course. If you mean that you are measuring your MPG and the number is 5% higher than reality, then you need to factor that into your calculation. If you are referring to the EPA estimate, then rest assured that the estimate is in no way dependent on the accuracy of the odometer.

You need to factor this in, but I don't see how you have been harmed by this.

This may or may not be a valid point. But consider that, to the extent that used Odysseys compete with each other for buyers, they are all at an equal disadvantage. To the extent that they compete with other cars, we don't know how accurate those cars' odometers are. I can tell you that +5% is pretty typical for odometer accuracy.

If you pay taxes on this basis, then you are overpaying. Where are you that calculates taxes this way? I have never heard of this and it seems ripe for cheating by periodically disconnecting the odometer.

I would have a hard time working up much anger about this.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew