Re: Possible Class Action Law Suit Against GMs Faulty Intake Gasket Failures

PISS OFF

Attorney collecting info for possible action against GMs Intake Gasket > Failures.
Reply to
Steve W.

Either you work for GM or you have never had an Intake gasket failure. If you havnt had an intake failure then you probably dont have a 3.1, 3.4 or

3.8, if you do then just give it time.
Reply to
Mark Woodrow

I had a 1991 cavalier with a 3.1, got it replaced (yes, it had a new motor with that plastic crap) as soon as I got it (I bought used). My parents have 2 ventures, a 98 and a 2002. They bought nothing but gm vehicles, from the same dealer and the same salesperson. My dad brought both in, and they changed it no questions asked. The 2002 was still under warranty, but not the 98. Point to the story, there are still

*some* honest and decent dealers, although buying 7 vehicles in the past 5 years from the same place seems to help! lol
Reply to
Chachi

Or maybe Steve (like me) is just pissed at the way some loser-lawyers chase ambulances looking for work. If they can't build business because of their ineptitude, they go looking for class action opportunities.

Reply to
StingRay

"StingRay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Class action lawsuits get the Corporate Lawyers attention, which you and others love for advocating GM and other corporations do nothing or stonewall, instead of admitting to a problem immediately, and correcting the problem, even when serious safety problems are involved. Why are Corporate Lawyers and CEO's who receive outrageous salaries, and are responsible for causing these problems, better than those Lawyers who seek remedies for those affected by these decisions ???

Reply to
tango

"StingRay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Class action lawsuits get the Corporate Lawyers attention, who along with the CEO's, share the blame for ignoring serious problems, some involving safety, or stonewalling instead of admitting to a problem, and fixing the problem or taking the product off the market. I see little difference between a Corporate Lawyer or CEO and a Lawyer who is an advocate for those affected by these decisions. I would say in most cases it is holding those who have no principles or respect for anyone but themselves, accountable. The best way to eliminate Corporate Lawsuits is for the stockholders to start showing many corrupt overpaid CEO's the door and demand that CEO's and their advisors act responsibly.

Reply to
tango

Tango, you seem to have missed the point of my comment. I agree wholeheartedly that "Class action lawsuits get the Corporate Lawyers attention . . .". But my point is that "a Lawyer who is an advocate for those affected by these decisions" is not often motivated by a burning desire to hold Corporations liable, but rather a desire to secure a fat paycheck for themselves. In case you didn't see an earlier post of mine, I am attaching it once again with direct quotes from a current news article:

" Plaintiff's lawyers in these type of class action cases generally get to keep about one-third of any negotiated settlement or jury award -- plus expenses. The lawyer's hefty cut of the action leaves a lot less money for shareholders to divvy up among themselves. And in a securities fraud case involving a major corporation, where there are tens of thousands of shareholders, the settlement pie can get sliced pretty thin.

The lawyers representing the class can receive millions of dollars in fees while the investors, who have already lost their shirts, are lucky to get pennies on the dollar. "

Here's the link:

StingRay

But we dont know what this lawyers intent is...maybe he has also had a GM intake Failure.

Reply to
GTA

Orrrrrr maybe it's that " Plaintiff's lawyers in these type of class action cases generally get to keep about one-third of any negotiated settlement or jury award -- plus expenses." 'Nuff said.

Reply to
StingRay

Orrrrrr maybe it's that " Plaintiff's lawyers in these type of class action cases generally get to keep about one-third of any negotiated settlement or jury award -- plus expenses." 'Nuff said.

Reply to
StingRay

Damn Stingray you are good... elegant with words..as always

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Hire that Shiavo attorney !

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,941 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Eightupman, my old friend, it's nice to hear from you! I haven't been into this NewsGroup much over the past two years and it's like coming back to some old friends. I've only managed to visit the NewsGroup a few times over that period and while I posted the odd message here and there, I seldom saw the responses to know whether or not I was able to help anyone out with my advice or opinions. Probably just got flamed anyway! *lol*

My wife's mum and dad both took sick a couple of years back and I took an early retirement to help my wife look after her folks, who live about 250 miles from our place. Her mum developed alzheimers and went downhill pretty quickly, passing away in December of 2003, after her third stroke. Meanwhile her dad fought prostate cancer, colon cancer, several heart attacks and finally, bone cancer which did him in this past November. So my wife and I are finally back home and trying to reclaim normal lives.

I see a lot of our old regulars are still here, helping out whoever they can and that puts a big smile on my face. :-) Nice to be back!

Reply to
StingRay

Harryface ?Ø

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,941 miles

Harry Face, you don't appear to need a lawyer OR a class action lawsuit with the great mileage you get out of your cars! Hey, maybe Shiavo's lawyer could get you into a Pontiac commercial! *lol*

Reply to
StingRay

Who cares as long as the plaintifs are compensated for the defective product. By the way in a class action suit 1/3 is a bit high for the attorneys take.

Reply to
GTA

That's the point GTA, the plaintiffs aren't adequately compensated. The lawyers are unconscienably overcompensated. Oh . . . 1/3 isn't "a bit high", it's extremely high and it's the typical take for the lawyers.

Reply to
StingRay

You may want to look at what the Plaintiffs usually get in these suits.

99% of the time they get NOTHING but a note telling them that the case was settled. For instance a big multistate class action lawsuit against Compaq. The suit was brought because they were supplying machines with a restore disc instead of separate software discs for each installed item (this is NOW the current practice of most companies) and because some hard drives were failing. The suit went through the system and was settled for well over 8.5 million dollars. The plaintiffs got coupons that stated they were entitled to 43 dollars off the price of the retail version of the OS in the machine (at the time that program was 189.00 retail) NOTHING else. The lawyers however received compensation of 4.3 million.

I can almost tell you the exact result of a class action suit against GM about these gaskets. The people in the class will get a notice mailed to them that will say that GM will pay for the repair as goodwill. The lawyers will get the cash. Probably 1-2 million IF they have a good case. That is why the scumbags love class action suits. very little work for a HUGE payoff. Look at all of them going after Vioxx. The company pulled the drug after it was discovered that WHEN MISUSED and taken IMPROPERLY it MIGHT cause problems. Now every joker and his partners are going to try suing them. Even though other medications like VIOXX are still on the market and HAVE BEEN PROVEN to be FAR worse.

Never seen a single class action suit yet that resulted in the plaintiffs getting the bulk of the settlement. 1/3 goes to them. 1/3 goes to the lawyers and the rest is "expenses and research" Guess who gets that? The lawyers....

Reply to
Steve W.

That pretty much summed it up Steve. Good examples.

Reply to
StingRay

Hmmm, you sound like you work for GM since that has pretty much been their standard response to customers who have been caught holding the bag.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Sadly there is plenty of ground for the lawyers to till when you have companies like GM putting millions of copies of a rotten design into customers' hands.

John

Reply to
John Horner