Old CRV and computer braking ABS problem. a success story

I own an old 98 CRV. It has 120,000 miles on it. I live where they salt the roads.

I have been having a time with my yellow light coming on indicating there is an ABS problem.

In the beginning I would get random errors. My mechanic told me that this was probably the ABS computer and I would need to spend 400 dollars for a new one. Well, I bought a used on on ebay for 38 dollars. It is very easily installed. I still got errors. However, now the errors were limited to error 15 and 17. These are the rear sensors. He tested the rear sensors with an ohm meter and pronounced them good. He is a good mechanic and I trust him. I went around with this light on all the time for a couple months more. Every time I did a reset and checked for errors they were both 15 and 17.

I then went in and ordered him to replace the sensors. This cost me $367. Not cheap. It has been a month now and no yellow light. I believe this is success. Before replacement the error codes could be reset and they would either show another error code within 10 minutes or one day.

I could have simply let this go and used my brakes as normal. However, I am 71 and my reflexes are not what they were. I live where we have six months of winter (read ice and snow on the road). This last winter was a bad one and we had 8 months. I want to be able to jam on my brakes and let the ABS cover my slow reflexes. When I say snow and ice on the road, I don't mean intermittently. When Winter starts, the roads and streets are covered in ice and snow until Spring.

Salt and age have had their way with my sensors and ABS system. I expect to soon replace the front sensors. However, so far so good.

The bottom line here is that I suspect measuring the sensors with an ohm meter is not a particularly reliable test.

BTW, this error light would come on after starting the engine and before the car was moved. It would just come on as usual but not go off as is normal.

Reply to
FBMboomer

Just went through the "ABS Light" on all the time. Code said front wheel sensor. Mechanic checked with meter and blessed the wheel sensor and cable, said both checked out as good. Concluded that the ABS module was faulty ($500+, including installation). After replacing the module the light still came on. Put original module back on and replaced the wheel sensor---no more light. Much cheaper repair cost. Honest mechanic (owner of the shop) as he could have left the new module on--I would never have known what really fixed the problem. Cost of repair was almost half the original estimate. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Yes, it appears the recommended method of testing the sensors is seriously flawed. I had both an ABS module bad and two rear sensors bad. The ABS module is easily replaced by someone like me. So, buying one on ebay was a good idea.

Again, the bottom line here is to trust a consistent error report of a sensor or sensors being bad. Do not trust an ohm meter reading.

I am glad to hear your mechanic was honest. If you look at an ABS module board there is hardly anything to it. Honda is making a fortune selling them at what must be a 1000% mark-up. If there were a sufficient market for these boards, China could sell them retail for 10 bucks and make a profit.

BTW, the new sensors are plastic instead of steel. Maybe they will stand up to salt better.

Reply to
FBMboomer