Prelude in trouble-- key stuck in ignition-- please help!!

Last night some friendly thieves broke into my '93 prelude, threw back the auto shifter all the way, and swiped the stereo. So after my depression wore off, I drove the car, but now I can't get the key out of the ignition!!! It seems that the auto shifter no longer is as it was. You can shift without having to push in the button with your thumb, AND (this is most problematic part) it is now impossible to get the key out of the ignition. It seems to think it's not in Park-- even though it is. Can anyone help me with this problem!? I'm looking for any kind of solution, creative or otherwise. As for now, I'm taking the battery out of the car so no one can just hop in and take off with her.

Thanks for any help!! your stereoless fan, rusternaut

Reply to
rust.flibbertigibbet

nevermind-- fixed it by slamming the shifter all the way up-- that got it to acknowledge it really was in park and let me pull out the key... now still gotta fix the button thingy so i don't accidentally throw it in reverse when i'm going 80 down the freeway. any ideas?

Reply to
rust.flibbertigibbet