Key stuck in ignition

Wife has a 99 Contour.

I kinda lost my temper at my son and while sitting in the driveway, I threw the gear selector (automatic on the floor) in park. I don't remember if I had the button pushed or not. Probably didn't.

Now the gear selector will not "stop and click" in each gear and the key is now stuck in the ignition.

I have a feeling that the ignition switch doesn't think that the gear selector is in park, when it actually is, so it won't release the key.

Anyone confirm that suspicion? How can I fix the problem, other that keep my cool... :)

Thanks...

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck