Re: Hybrid cars HOV Lanes

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:wuydndMIGrvLulbenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

> ...as long as you purchased the Prius for it's green advantages and >> not the mpg you perceive you're saving, I agree. If you purchased >> the car to save money on gas, you'll need to own the car for 7 years >> before you realize any savings back. >> >> > We purchased it for both fuel savings and the driving experience; it > is the second most fun car to drive I've ever had (I still miss my > Lotus, though).

What's the -fun- part of driving it? Knowing you're being frugal with gas? Or that it replaced a 20+ yr old car?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The 2001-2003 Prius is remarkably nimble and manueverable, the features I prized in the Lotus and sorely missed in the Nissan 300ZX. Dunno about the current version. I despise automatic transmissions, so I had reservations about the "ECVT" of the Toyota Hybrid System. Boy, was I surprised! The accelerator calls up power with supernatural smoothness and predictability. I hate the way automatics always seem to be in the wrong gear or downshift when I didn't want them to - never an issue with the THS. I drove it once and fell in love.

People are always stereotyping me and ascribing motives according to their preconceptions when they find I not only own a Prius, I love it. I am not a liberal, I am a Reagan Republican. I am also a minor motorhead (I have a brother who is a major motorhead, so I know the difference!) I know what I like, and this is it. Now when I have to drive a conventional vehicle, especially one with an automatic tranny, I wonder, "what is all the 'vroom-clunk, vroom-clunk' about?" The irony is that now my wife has it and I have her Volvo wagon with an automatic... vroom-clunk. :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I guess all they need to work on is the styling! 8-) It sure doesn't compare to a Lotus or Z.

(IMO,Prius is dog-ugly)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I drive with my eyes closed to deal with that part.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:dJOdnT0j--

5_ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Have you read that article about bettering the Prius fuel economy by adding an additional battery pack,and IIRC,allowing for recharge from home electric power? It was in the news 4-5 months ago.

Reply to
Jim Yanik