Sticky gas pedal since 2002 Accord was new

Tegger,

Thanks so much for your explanation and help. I did call the dealer I bought the car from. And there IS a TSB for my car.

They said to pursue this further with the dealer I am having it serviced at- and because it?s a documented problem that was never adequately fixed it?s covered under warranty. I will attempt to get my dealer to fix this, but at this point I do not trust them.

The dealer I bought from is 150 miles away but it will be worth it to return it to them.

I love my car and have had no probs with it except for this ongoing problem. Will let you know how this all works out.

"Tegger" wrote: > NancyK wrote in news:949186 > snipped-for-privacy@0000.com: > > > Thanks very much Tegger for your reply. > > I change the oil at the dealer every 3750 miles religiously > even tho > > the car is not driven under severe conditions. > > I think I?m going to take it to the dealership I bought it > from and > > see if I can?t get a straight answer. > > Elmo, the Honda service person said that the Odyssey and the > Pilot > > both DO have this problem but not the Accord. (I googled > this and > > found that indeed it exists for the Accord too) But I?ll be > interested > > in knowing what you?ve done to get yours corrected. > > > > As I say, there's only one source of oil in the intake. If > you've changed > your oil as religiously as you say, then drainback should be > unimpaired > from the valve cover baffles and there ought to be no oil in > the intake. > > DID the dealer do a VIN check for TSBs? Did they ever bother > to remove the > valve cover and PCV valve to see if the baffles/valve were > sludged up or > not? This is not rocket science. > > By the way, the type of gasoline used, or the use or non-use > of additives > like Techron, will have absolutely zero effect on oil in the > intake. The > two things are totally unrelated. > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

NancyK

Thanks for your help Tegger. Bottom line- they?re gonna fix it! I had to call Honda customer care to get it addressed, and I have to take it to the far and away dealer to get it done, but it will get fixed gratis.

I would have just sucked it up and never questioned them without your help.

Incidentally, I spoke to the tech who did the work at the dealer who "diagnosed" it last week. He said he never took off the valve cover and PCV valve to inspect. They just gave me a price for what they said "should fix it".

Thanks once again.

"Tegger" wrote: > jim beam wrote in > news:maydnb6nI8hnGeLYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net: > > > Tegger wrote: > > >> > >> > >> So then I should notice a definite difference after 2K, and > I do not. > >> Also, the car used to use no oil at all between changes, > but that was > >> 200,000 miles ago. > > > > oil consumption /can/ be worn rings - as discussed before, > but my car > > doesn't burn oil if i plod about town. it /does/ burn it if > i gun it > > though. that's high temperature. > > > > Definitely. And I did say that. My oil consumption goes down > significantly in the winter, which is definitely due to lower > oil > temperatures. At zero F, it's difficult for the oil in the pan > to reach > 210F even with highway driving. > > However, my consumption is still high across the board. And > since I'm on > the highway about 80-90% of the time (during off-peak hours), > I can't > spend enough time at city speed to be able to see if there's a > > difference. > > If I ever end up rebuilding my gearbox, I'm contemplating > changing the > 5th gear set for something higher, to reduce revs at highways > speeds. > > > > > > >> > >> And the Tercel uses no oil either. If there were any > evaporation > >> going on, I think we'd be seeing it in the Tercel. > > > > does the tercel get driven like the integra? valve timing > on that > > thing is real benign, so i doubt it could reach the same > combustion > > temps, even at full throttle. > > > > Yes, but as I said earlier, when my car had 75K on it, it used > no oil > between changes regardless of how hard the engine was driven. > My driving > then was much like it is now. > > > > >> > >> Well he very explicitly and deliberately didn't use > anything that > >> might drop into the bore, so that's a non-issue here. > > > > what /did/ he use? i spent hours and hours shaving crud off > mine with > > a fine blade. no abrasives. i seriously doubt he had the > time to do > > what i did. > > > > He used a blade and time. He tells me there are no shortcuts > when > removing the head gasket remnants. > > He also says he's seen plenty of engines where someone has > used > ScotchBrite or sandpaper to clean the block face, and these > invariably > develop oil consumption problems very quickly, much faster > than in 40K > miles. > > > > > > >> He reports that when he > >> did my head gasket, the bores were completely unscored, but > were > >> shiny smooth all over. > > > > ideally, they should still have shown the original > cross-hatching. > > > > Sorry, that's what I meant. The crosshatching wears enough to > make the > surface a bit shiny compared to brand new, is what I was > getting at. > > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

NancyK

NancyK wrote in news:950751 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

You're lucky. Unless it's a Safety Recall, TSB repairs are often your responsibility when the car's out of warranty. You must have been nice to them.

He's a bad boy. He obviously doesn't know enough to check for TSBs and recalls, which is the FIRST thing that should be done.

I love happy endings. :)

Reply to
Tegger