Crap door handles

My 71 bus came with two replacement door handles. One, as illustrated by letter "G" as shown on

has already broken. The knob part snapped right off its buttonlike axle thing at the end of the arm -- in fact, the knob crumbled like the door handle in Young Frankenstein. It's a disappointingly weenie part. The other handle in the bus is as shown as letter "F". It hasn't broken yet, but does not feel real substantial.

Are there other, better, handles?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

aha! I couldn't see that description matching a door handle and now I see why. I personally consider that to be a window knob, but the name is unimportant. What's important is that I've had to purchase a number of those l'il doodads over the past 17 years and I can't remember any of them as having been very sturdy - which is why I've purchased so many of them.

Reply to
mez

Stoxk ones. All the aftermarket ones are crap, just like the replacement mirrors. Unless you can find NOS, I would call Interstate VW in San Marcos and see if they can set you up with a set.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

That's the second time someone has mentioned Interstate -- what's the scoop on those guys? What do they do differently than, say, Aircooled?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

So the replacement mirrors are total crap? I bought 2 for my Bus from Bus Boys...... think I should scuff the chrome and paint them they are that bad?

Reply to
Mac

.....................They're a really big VW salvage yard.

Used parts aren't sold by Aircoole.Net

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Kewl. Shades of my ill-spent youth -- poking around a junkyard looking for a used but functioning generator or something.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Crap is a relative thing(no,my relatives are not crap).Some reproduction parts are somewhat lacking,but look all right for a driver.My bus came with several sets of mirrors(as an example).They all look presentable and fit.The old german ones shine up best though.The "spare set"(brazil or?) are just that.If the need ever arises they are better than nothing.The more important things,motor,electrical,brake parts OEM is best.But even here,Bosch rebuilds quality is suspect lately.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

We talking window winder handles??? Ford Sierra door handles fit. Very handy if you live in the UK, Europe, NZ or OZ - they are all rusty pieces of shit :-) I believe the Merkur (sp?) XR4i was sold in the US - it's a sierra. The handles fit straight on, and are a lot bigger - you'll never break one!

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

Cool Idea.This forum has some original thinkers.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

I still do that. For fun!

Reply to
Max Welton

Go to your local wrecking yard and grab all the Rabbit window cranks. Look for the 4 doors and grab the rear ones, they were not used as much. A neat thing about Rabbit cranks, they came in different colors.

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
Braukuche

Uh -- I do, too. Mental vaporlock when I wrote the original post.