Follow Up @ Cabin Filter

2000 Toyota I changed my cabin filter today per Ray's and others' instructions. That baby was BLACK! Anyhow, just one correction to the instructions to change it. In addition to dropping the glovey door down, you have to take out the glovey mounting plastic to get at the filter. Anyhow, I'm hoping for a noticeable improvement. jor
Reply to
jor

I've also noticed that the "pictures" with the filter or in literature often don't match exactly. Glad you changed it. Like I said I do both of ours yearly.

If nothing else, you'll get better air!

Ron

Reply to
ron

Thanks for the update!

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I gotta say - that filter change made a BIG difference in the performance of my AC! It's really pretty amazing. I guess it was just working hard to get the air through that mess. It is blowing better and it is much colder. It's been very hot here (100 - 110) and the AC was really struggling at low revs. Now, good as gold. If you have a cabin filter, CHANGE IT!!! jor

Reply to
jor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ray O, could you possibly repeat your instructions on replacing the cabin filter? I tried to get at the one in my 2003 Avalon, but was fearful of doing something drastic to the glove box door, and I'd just as soon not be forced to secure the door with duct tape in future. Any reprint would be splendid....thanks!

Reply to
mack

Here is a copy and paste:

A never-changed cabin filter will have the same effect on the AC that a never-changed filter on a home AC system would have, that is, reduced air flow and efficiency. The interval for replacing the cabin air filter is once a year, or every 15,000 miles. Replacing the cabin air filter is not very difficult. Empty the glove box, squeeze the back corner of the glove box so that the stoppers are pulled in and the glove box and flop all the way forward, look in the opening for the filter, pull it out, and reverse the process.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

We had a 2002 and it was a bit different than Ray explained - required taking out the screws around glove box door AND one small bolt on the lower right hand edge. Then the filter was accessible- Our o5 Avalon requires taking a screw out of the glove box damper, then pushing in sides to drop glove box. The 02 Highlander only requires pushing in sides of box and dropping (I left the "safety strap" off on first cabin filter change).

I think the 02 Avalon had about 6 screws and the bolt but still didn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Ron

Reply to
ron

Yea, that's how my 2000 came out. There were four small sheet metal type screws and one larger one. Also, you pop out the black bottom plastic (right under the glovey and also pop out the thin strip on the door base. Does that make sense? Anyhow, I took photos so if anyone needs to see this, just drop me a mail at jor at comcast dot net and I'll send them over. jor

Reply to
jor

Hey, many thanks for the advice, Ray O, ron and jor! I really appreciate it! Mack

Reply to
mack

How do you change the cabin filter in a 2005 Camry. The book says that you just take our one screw, could that be true?

Reply to
fred3400

Because "fred3400" could, he/she/it opin'd:

Which book is that?

To change the cabin filter on my 2005 Camry I did the squeeze together the back of the glove box and pull forward thing . . . .

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn