2013 Elantra

I just bought a 2013 Elantra Limited. It's my first new car in 10 years. I'm amazed and frightened at the magnitude of computer controls built into this car.

Reply to
CRNG

Every car is like that and will have even more as we move along. The good news is, when they work they do a fantastic job of controlling the engine,, stability control, shifting. etc.

What many people do not know, is most everything else is computer controlled. Switches, in many cars no longer operate lights. They send a command to the computer asking the lights be turned on and the computer sends a signal to a relay and they go on. I was reading where some cars will not longer have standard wiring, but CAT5 cable instead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I also read that all the new "remote enabled" features in cars allows hackers to pwn the shit out of your car from a Starbucks WiFi hotspot and drive your ass off a cliff or disable your breaks. Computers, fun!

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]