Auto Trans oil level

Hello out there,

I just acquired a 2002 Sonata with 32K miles on it. Not knowing anything about previous service, I took it to the local Hyundai dealer for the 30K service which included replacing the transmission fluid. A week later I checked the level (engine running with gear in drive position) and found the level just touching the dip stick. It was nowhere near the hot mark.

I went back to the dealer and was told that there was a TSB from Hyundai that said that when the level was where you think it should be, the transmission is too full and subject to foaming and damage.

Is the dealer correct or is he covering for sloppy service?

Vince

vince

I know of no "TSB" which says this, but I don't have enough information to reach a conclusion, either. Here's what I can tell you:

  1. You checked your transmission fluid incorrectly. It should be checked hot, in neutral, with the engine idling.

  1. Although there was no such TSB, there was some sort of Hyundai "message" about dipsticks being too short. I don't recall what model/year this was for, but I do believe it was only about a half quart difference, so it shouldn't have any significant effect.

Reply to
hyundaitech

There is a TBS, the main reason is that you checked your level using the wrong setup, as mentioned it should be HOT (70-100 C) neutral and idling. Also make sure the car is leveled.

The TBS 03-40-015, dated 08/2003 have the correct procedure.

Reply to
Victor A. Garcia

from Hyundiatech;

from Victor;

Victor, Hyundiatech,

My mistake. the lever was in neutral when the measurement was made. My next question is what damage could be done if the oil quantity was brought up to the "Hot" level? (from someone not knowing of the TBS.)

Thanks for the help. Vince

Reply to
vince

The TSB 03-40-015 regards a 2-3 shift flare and how to diagnose on various models. One of the things it includes is a description of how to check the fluid. But it makes no mention of the dipstick being too short.

You should have no damage from bringing the ATF level to the "Hot" mark when hot. Make sure you use SP-III atf.

Reply to
hyundaitech