Oil level question

I almost hate to ask this question seeing as how my life has been spent operating very large aircraft piston engines but I cannot see what harm might occur to an engine when the CC oil level is allowed to be higher than the full mark...the only harm that I can see might be a hydraulic effect which might burst the pan etc. I suppose there might be issues with allowing the 'big end' to ram through solid oil?. In any case I bought a new lawn tractor to mow a fairly large lawn that I just acquired and after mowing it a few times I thought I should check the CC oil level...well well!...it was super overfilled. To give you an idea, with the bottom of the stick at 'zero' the add mark at 8, the full mark at 10 they had filled it to about 30 or so!...there's several warnings in various places (one right on the stick) which says "Warning!...do not overfill".

For the life of me I can't see what it could harm...any clues?...

(I'll reduce the level before running it any more though)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The argument is that if the oil level is too high, the big end of the crank will whip through the oil. This action will whip up the oil and aerate it. The aerated oil (aka foamy oil)does not function properly. I also suppose beating on the oil repeatedly might have some cumulative effect on the properties. In must engines, the oil level has to be really high to cause this problem.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The crank running through can stir it up to a froth so the oil pump can't pump it. Not an issue on your lawnmower which is probably a splash system.

That whipped up oil can get into the intake and smoke like crazy. Gas leaked into the crankcase of my tiller and it smoked like crazy when I started it. Oil (and gas) level was probably at the 30 mark like you. Don't ask me how it got into the combustion chamber, but it did in huge quantities.

And then having the bottom of a piston impact a pool of oil is not going to be good for it.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

All I have every read or heard states the problem with the crank frothing the oil also.

But since small engines are brought up I'll throw my observation out.

I have a riding mower with Brigs 19.5 HP VS.-2. Takes 42 ounces of oil and synthetic 5-30 recommended. I drain/fill and it is right to full mark. Nearly everytime I check it subsequently it shows way over full. Then It will be at full mark next time - yep, I wipe stick and check bothsides - just strange, Nope, if I drain it, there's only about right amount. (about 1/3 plastic gallon milk jug)

Weird huh?

Ron

Reply to
ron

My cousin / roommate had her oil changed at a Jiffy lube and they filled the CC oil twice. She just made it out the driveway before a rod blew a hole in the block.

What surprised me was Jiffy lube had the damage repaired without being forced.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Christ!...is that ever weird!...SAME HERE...honest to God, after making that post I went out to dump some oil out, checked the level on the stick and...it showed right on the full mark!!...thought I was going nuts...it's also a 19 HP but I think it's a Techumski(?)...I'll check it again (and again) in the next few days!...Thanks all for your help...foaming (I had heard but forgotten)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

In four cycle engines overfilling usually results in cavitation. As you know when that happens the pump rotates with no pumping action taking place. Think of a propellor in an outboard when it cavitates, high rpm, no forward travel. In a splash system, early stove bolt sixes used a splash system, the crankshaft would aerate when overfilled with the same result. Still haven't seen you on RAM. Still discouraged? Ron

Gord Beaman wrote:

out.

Reply to
ronbon

REAL MEN push their mowers....

ROFL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I'd love to be pushing Scott. Believe it or not wife actually made me buy a rider! I had two strokes in 89. So walk is more of a controlled stumble. So being the sweet thing she is said "buy a rider, I don't want you to cut your leg off" Course I'd used self-propelled for some 10 years at that time.

Ron

Reply to
ron

We shall make an exception for you....

That reminds me....it is time to cut the back.

I'll wait till the sun goes down a bit.

You must be taking care of yourself. That is a good thing.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Why is it OK for a woman to buy a man something that makes the man's work a little easier, like a power tool or power equipment for his birthday, Father's Day, or the holidays yet it is NOT OK for a guy to buy a woman a bigger washing machine or vacuum or blender for her birthday, Mother's Day, or a holiday? In other words, why is that stuff a necessity for a woman and therefore exempt for being considered a gift?

Reply to
Ray O