Buying Elantra or Sonata

Hi Guys,

I am looking into buying one of the two mentioned models. I am disturbed that Elantra does not have the option of ABS at all. Is that a problem? I know usually smaller cars don't have the ABS, but I found it useful on my Civic.

I also have heard mentioning that changing the oil cannot be done at home. For me that would be a deal breaker, since I prefer it done by myself.

Any advices you could give me?

Thanks,

James

Reply to
James Atkinson

Right from the Hyundai web site - ABS optional. Go to the build your own area on the site and you'll see all the options.

This is not true. Simply document your oil changes. Hyundai is very good about not hasseling you with warranty exclusions for doing your own work. There are areas where you'll want to use Hyundai parts in order to keep the warranty intact for that particular area of the vehicle,. but you're under no warranty obligation to have the work performed by someone else.

Yup - take a walk on the web site and you'll find quite a bit of information.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd do a little internet shopping to reduce shopping time. You have bad information on both counts. I checked to see if my employer has any Elantras with ABS in stock since sometimes the regional heads don't order cars with certain options. My employer indeed has ABS Elantras in stock.

And you can have whoever you wish change your oil. If you're changing you're own, I'd recommend purchasing filters at a dealer to remove any doubt as to fault in the event there's a filter issue. I'm not sure I'd want to patronize the dealer who told me I had to do my oil changes there, however.

Reply to
hyundaitech

In the US ABS is bundled with the sun roof for Elantra's. $1100 option package. Would be interested in the brakes but did not want the sun roof.

Reply to
nothermark

Thanks, the site is extremely well done, plenty of useful info. Hyundai even offers financing!

Reply to
James Atkinson

Actually, the sunroof is probably more useful than ABS. Fortunately, when I bought my Elantra, the sunroof was available without ABS/TCS, which I didn't want.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom