DIY A/C Recharge kit for 2002 Sonata GLS

Gotten a lot of good information from here and it seems like the re-charge kits are more trouble than they're worth. But now that I have had my 02 Sonata for nearly 5 years and the A/C is finally starting to go, if a shop does it properly, should I not expect it to last me another 4+ years?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

'But now that I have had my 02 Sonata for nearly 5 years and the A/C is finally starting to go, if a shop does it properly, should I not expect it to last me another 4+ years?

- Thee Chicago Wolf'

REPLY: It could, and, it may not before needing more attention ; if you need a recharge every couple of years then that isnt so bad and you can certainly budget for it. I have a 1998 Chevy Cargo Van with a 305 cid motor and the a/c system has worked flawlessly with 120,000 miles on it. I pressure wash the condensor several times per summer as it sees alot of construction sites , which helps keep the internal pressures resonable and in the normal range for the ambient temp it is. On automotive a/c systems...the biggest culprit are leaking O-rings followed by a leaking Compressor Shaft Seal (as evidenced by a straight line of oily deposits found on the underside of your hood) .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

This is all new info to me. Since I've been pretty ok for 4 years, I figured my system is pretty healthy (no bad -O-rings, cracks, etc.). Since I've decided I am going to take it to either Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube, I wanna make sure they aren't gonna try and shaft me by saying my o-rings are bad or I have leaks. How could I check this stuff to make sure I am not being fleeced?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

If it isn't broke, don't fix it! You would know if you have a leak, the system would not work or not work very well.

Operating at low charge is fairly easy to detect. You can hear the AC clutch cut in and out very frequently. As it cuts in, the system quickly cuts out via a low pressure switch.

This test requires a reasonable load on the AC. The clutch may cycle quickly if it is cool out even in a properly charged system.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

Nobody can answer that in advance. If it had a very slow leak which is undetectable, a recharge may be cost effective without repairing the leak that can't be found. This actually is common! Sniffers can't find all leaks, neither can dye. Very slow leaks in concealed areas's are a nightmare to find. They usually get worse, not always.

A few cautions:

- Be very wary of system "leak stop" additives. Many are harsh and many shops won't touch a system with those added since it might contaminate their equipment. There are a additives that are pretty gentle, often they don't help, sometimes they do.

- Never let a system stand with no charge. It has a leak that most likely will let moisture in. Moisture and r-134a oils create acids that will destroy internal components.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

'I wanna make sure they aren't gonna try and shaft me by saying my o-rings are bad or I have leaks. How could I check this stuff to make sure I am not being fleeced?

- Thee Chicago Wolf'

REPLY: Take a small container of liquid dish soap and mix it with water (50/50 solution) , or, buy some spray Fantastic cleaner ... and coat all connections on the a/c system that are accessible. The a/c doesnt need to be in operation. Look for tiny bubbles to appear ; look all around the fitting even underneath. If you see constant bubbles , then there is a tiny leak. Look on the underside of your hood -- do you see a thin line of oilyness about 4-10 inches long directly above the a/c compressor ? If so, you had/have a freon leak from the shaft seal of the compressor.

Thats about as far as you can go without using electronic instruments for freon leak testing.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa