Headlights on 2006 Sonata

The alternative would be worse, which is having the full height beam blinding you. At least with the cutoff beam, it only occasionally pops up enough to be an issue. IMO, it's an advancement, as it allows brighter headlights with minimal annoyance to other drivers. No, it's not perfect, but there is no better alternative. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it.

I haven't experienced those problems. Perhaps your headlights are aimed too far to the right. You can try bringing them back to the left a bit.

That's what high beams are for. Switch to them or simply flash them if necessary.

It's certainly worth a shot. You may find that the two beam heights are not aligned or that one or the other is aimed off to one side. When attempting to determine the aiming. I've found it easiest to stand on the center of the rear bumper and look over the roof and hood.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

So flash your high beams back, so they know that you have your low beams on and you're not being a jerk. If you educate other drivers, eventually they'll get used to modern headlights like we all must do.

Of course there is. You need to be able to see down the road and also up on the right side of the road to read signs.

Headlights are just brighter now, plain and simple. The only "fix" to your complaint would be to go back to the older, dimmer headlights that we complained about for not providing enough visibility. You can't have it both ways. Yeah, sometimes it's irritating, but the alternative is less visibility overall, which I don't see as an improvement.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Hmmmmmm.... I never complained about the old headlights. They worked fine. I have noticed that all of my cars that are in the 2000 plus vintage (2000,

2003, 2004) do a much worse job at lighting the road in up and down dips than the older cars used to. High beams or low beams - makes no difference. These new lights may have some benefits (though I have yet to put my finger on what the benefits are), but they certainly have some drawbacks as well.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

No, an alternative is to have more of a Guassian distribution with just the tail going high enough to be seen by oncoming drivers. My Chevy truck is close to this and it has great headlights, probably as good as the Hyundai, and doesn't "flash" incoming drivers.

I'm talking about the high beams. The cut-off is still rather pronounced compared to my pickup.

Yes, definitely worth looking at when I get a chance.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I believe I have both with my 1994 Chevy pickup, so I know it is possible.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I agree. The Sonata may be a little brighter than my Chevy pickup, but I haven't parked them side by side to tell. You can't tell any big difference going from one vehicle to the other from a brightness perspective. The only difference is the truck is much better for driving on hilly back roads.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yup - it's the dips and dives that black right out with all of the newer lights.

Reply to
Mike Marlow