rattle--remove rearview mirror?

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Elantra VE in Canada that's got a fairly constant rattle that seems to be coming from the rearview mirror mount (when I hold it firmly in my hand, the rattle goes away). Is there any way to fix it? It looks like there's some connection, probably with a bolt, from the mirror itself to the mount that's glued to the windshield....I'm thinking I have to tighten that unseen bolt. I just don't know how to go about trying to get at it.

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks!

--Dave

Reply to
canadave

Looking at an Elantra mirror, it appears that it snaps into place. To remove, move the mirror downward parallel with the windshield. Check the back of the mount and mirror to be sure everything is tight and reinstall it, making sure it engages in the mount completely. If the rattle is still present, it's probably inside the mirror itself.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I'll try that later (I'm at work right now). I'm a little confused though as to how I would remove the mirror by sliding the mirror downward...surely there's some other step first? If the mirror could slide downward, wouldn't gravity take it right off its mount? :) Are you saying there's no prying with a screwdriver or anything like that before sliding the mirror downward?

Also, are you sure that you're talking about a 2002 Elantra mirror? I think the later models are different (read: easier to remove) from what I've heard.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
canadave

I looked at a 2004, which I figured should be the same-- 2001-2006 Elantras share the same basic design.

In this case, there's a clip that holds the mirror in place, sort of snapping it in.

Just make sure you don't get too aggressive with it. I've seen cars where chunks of the windshield were missing from pulling on the attachment block.

Reply to
hyundaitech