Sonata 2002 Auto Gear Change

I have the 2002 model Sonata 2.7 V6 automatic in the UK. When I first drive off, the gear change is smooth except with the first change from second to third which is a bit 'clunky'. After this first change, all subsequent changes up to third are smooth. All other changes are smooth. Not exactly the most worrying thing that can go wrong, but it is noticeable. Anyone know why only the first change to third should do this? nick

Reply to
NickNike

There's a reprogram for the TCM for U.S. models which addresses a shift flare on the 2-3 shift. You should probably check with your local Hyundai service center to see if the same issue is present in UK.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the reply. Would this tend to effect every shift as opposed to just the first time it shifts from 2-3, thanks, nick

Reply to
NickNike

I've seen it both ways, actually. I worked on a 2002 or 2003 Kia Optima (same basic car) when I was employed at a Kia dealer and it had pretty much the issue you describe. I don't think the reprograms were available at that time, however.

Reply to
hyundaitech