timing belt

i was quoted 550$ for a timing belt change for a 2002 accent. is this price about right or should i look further. it incleded a hyundai original part water pump. thanks

Reply to
george ross

That seems pretty high to me, assuming that's US dollars. You should be able to get the entire 60K service for that price. I've done timing belt changes myself in less than 2 hours, so a Hyundai mechanic should be able to do it easily in that amount of time. The belt is pretty cheap, but I'm not sure what the water pump costs.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

At my place of employment, that would actuall be pretty cheap. Check around some other places near you and compare. Be sure to specify you'd like OE Hyundai parts used. I don't know the exact water pump price, but I'm guessing the entire job at my place of employment would be about $750.

Get some word of mouth recommendations for places that do good work and call them. In all seriousness, you'll probably find the price differentials to be quite large.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

There is no recommended interval for the water pump. The advantage of doing it with the timing belt is that the additional labor charge is small. Doing them separately means you need to repay for all the labor to remove the timing belt just to access the water pump.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I've never really understood why timing belt work is so expensive. I just got a quote from my dealer for almost $500 for my 2001 Accent. Even if you were paying a mechanic $150/hr for the job, that still would not add up. Why does it cost so darn much?

The last time I had a timing belt job done (at an independent shop), the price included replacing the accessory belts. Labor was $260, but the shop charged quite a bit for parts: $90 for the timing belt, and about $40 each for the 2 accessory belts. This was for a Toyota Camry.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

Unless of course it fails before 100,000 miles or 10 years ?

Reply to
Paradox

Correct. That's why I don't recommend replacing the water pump with the timing belt at 60k if you're the original owner.

Reply to
hyundaitech