Weird Noise When Turning ('99 Accent GSI)

My sister reports that when turing left there is a weird noise coming from the passenger door area when she turns left. She also reports that car drives left when you let go of the wheel.

Car has 58,000k and no warranty

Any idea what it could be?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Any description of the noise beyond weird? My first thought is brake sensors, but I could be way off here not knowing what it sounds like.

If the wheel is set so that the car drives straight and then the wheel is released and the car begins turning left reasonably hard, then I'd check the front tires to see if they match, are in good condition, and are properly inflated.

Reply to
hyundaitech

When you let go of the wheel the car drifts lift at a slow rate. I will get her to elaborate as to the noise.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Any good alignment shop would be a starter for me. If they are good they will tell you if there is a problem before they charge for an alignment. ;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Drifting left slowly doesn't sound like an issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If the wheels are out of aligment, isn't that bad?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Reply to
Jody

The two front tires are new.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Could be a constant velocity joint problem, if it is a clanking sort of noise.

Reply to
irwell

It depends on what's out of alignment, how far it's out, and why. Toe can be a little out of spec with significant consequences. But drifting to the left or a wheel off center issue doesn't necessarily mean total toe is out of spec. So, that's why I'm not particularly alarmed. If your current tires are new, how did your previous front tires wear? If they were worn primarily on the inside edge of both or the outside edge of both, that would usually indicate a toe issue that should be corrected. If they were worn on both the inside and outside edges, that would typically indicate an underinflation issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ok so I talked to my sister. She says the noise only happens when she turns left and it sounds like glass or wires moving in the door???? It could be coming from the tire area though maybe is my thought.

Does anyone have any idea what that could be?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Anyone have any idea what that noise is?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

The noise may be coming from a broken boot on the axle. The car pulling to one side can be bad allignment or unbalanced tires.

Reply to
Noname

It'll cause un-even wear on your tires. (wont last nearly as long.)

Reply to
Noname