Stuck in Park - argh!

Hi Everone, I hope some of you wise people can help with this one...? Basically, I can't get my jag out of PARK..... We've got a Jaguar XJ40 Sov. 4L Auto 1994 (UK L plate).. It was running just great a couple of months back (never any problem) but I put it off road for 3 months, in my garage.

I didn't disconnect the battery (foolish boy?) and so when I came back the jag would not start... So I got a new battery and it started 1st time - all well and good. But now I cannot select drive, the gear lever just won't budge.

Interestingly, when I press the brake pedal it doesn't 'click' like it did before - and as you are aware you must press the pedal before you can select another gear....

I am not getting any fault codes from the VCM, but when I pump the break - the parking break light is illuminated for a few seconds......hmmm.... Then it goes out again... Also the pedal itself.... Feels fine.... The garage is on a level surface and I am confused.

Please help me... This is my 6th Jag and I've never had a problem like this before...

All advice well recieved and thanks.

Reply to
Chris+Sarah+Jag 4L

"Chris+Sarah+Jag 4L" skrev i meddelandet news:59d04148cb1ff@uwe...

Hi Chris,

First of all, Charge your battery! or change to a new one. If still no good then; Perhaps it's just a blown fuse! Check Fuse C4 Left Panel (infront of left front door) Check Fuse C2 Center Panel (between the seats inside center control)

Next step is the switch on the brake pedal. (this has been a service issue) Next step is the Relay module (in front of passangers seat) (Gear shift relay)

Next step is Gear shift solenoid (under center console)

Hope this helps

Pepe Jaguar XJ40 4,0 Sovereign -94 (Winter car) Jaguar XJS 6,0 Conv -95 (Summer car)

Reply to
Pepe

Hi Pepe,

Thanks for your advice, I went to the Jag today and got it into drive - by removing the J-gate 'plug' and inserting a chopstick (very technical stuff!). However, the rear lights are a NO NO - checked the fuses in all 3 boxes and all they are all fine.

So, next stop is the pedal box and the brake pedal switch... The only thing is I'm naff at electrical bits....But reading on the net/Haynes seems to say it's not that bad... Ah well, we fight on.

Thanks aga>> Hi Everone,

Reply to
Chris+Sarah+Jag 4L via CarKB.c