XJ6 rattle

What is the disconcerting rattle that manifests itself when I shut a door on the series II xj6? It emanates from the fuel tank area. I noticed this sound on other xj's, but it wasn't a problem on my series III. Am I about to drop a tank?

Reply to
terry brennan

The rattle is from two vents behind the rear seat. These open to release the pressurized air when the door closes. They can be seen from inside the boot/trunk in the upper half of the panel behind the rear seat. Originally they would have had a piece of foam to dampen the noise but that will almost certainly have crumbled and disappeared. Hope this helps

Chris

terry brennan wrote:

Reply to
Chris Halpin

terry brennan wrote:

What is the disconcerting rattle that manifests itself when I shut a door on the series II xj6? It emanates from the fuel tank area. I noticed this sound on other xj's, but it wasn't a problem on my series III. Am I about to drop a tank?

--------------060900060109090603060000--

Reply to
Chris Halpin

"terry brennan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Easy, open the boot lid and you will see the flaps through the rectangular holes just under the back of the boot lip. Grab a pair of long nosed pliers, grip them, twist em and pull them out. If that fails, that whol black pannel can be removed by undoing the nuts under neath and around the edges.

Been there done that :-)

Reply to
Ron the Barbarian