Problem shifting to 1st

Hi there,

I am having a problem shifting my T-176 to 1st when the Jeep is rolling (like from 2nd to 1st when going uphill). It grinds like it were a T-18 with a non-synchromesh 1st...

This started to happen after I sent the Jeep to a mechanic to change all the transmission and transfer case bearings, as well as the throwout bearing. I did ask him to check all synchros while the tranny was down, but he said they were OK.

Another symptom is that as soon as I let go off the gas on 1st, the gear jumps immediately, even on a flat surface...

Anyone have an idea what's going on? I really hope he did check the synchros.

Reply to
pablorCJ7

Hi there,

I am having a problem shifting my T-176 to 1st when the Jeep is rolling (like from 2nd to 1st when going uphill). It grinds like it were a T-18 with a non-synchromesh 1st...

This started to happen after I sent the Jeep to a mechanic to change all the transmission and transfer case bearings, as well as the throwout bearing. I did ask him to check all synchros while the tranny was down, but he said they were OK.

Another symptom is that as soon as I let go off the gas on 1st, the gear jumps immediately, even on a flat surface...

Anyone have an idea what's going on? I really hope he did check the synchros.

Reply to
pablorCJ7

If you mean the shifter pops out of 1st, then you likely have mount issues. If the mounts didn't get bolted back straight or if one is busted, the shifter can physically bind on the hole in the body it passes through.

Other than that, you might have a 'bad' rebuild.

Mike

Mike Romain