1992 YJ Coolant Tem/ ECU problem

Hi all,

I used to post/lurk about 7 (could it really be that long??) years ago. My school dropped usenet, so I was disconnected. Back then I had a '94 Sahara YJ.

I'm out of options on this one and turning here for help.

I now have a '92 YJ. It had a lit 'Check Engine' and is throwing these codes:

12-ECU recently lost power--Not a big deal. 33-open A/C circuit--No A/C on this truck, not big deal. 22-Engine coolant temperature(ECT)sensor input above the maximum (or below the minimum) acceptable voltage--This is the problem 55-end of codes--Good.

The story: I recently bought this truck knowing there were a few quirks. The temp gauge didn't work--I saw the code 22, so I put in a new coolant temp sender. The speedometer didn't work either. Hmmmm.

Still had the same Code 22 with the new temp sender. I checked and doublechecked all the wiring to the computer from the ECT. Still a Code 22.

I thought the computer was on its way out. I pulled the one from the '94 and dropped it in: runs fine, but still gives a 22. (the '94 computer into the '92 was a gamble. i couldn't find anything saying it _wouldn't_ work, so i tried it. It is not throwing any new codes, so i'll say it works--YMMV.)

I'm back to trying to troubleshoot the wiring. Ugh.

Anyone have a similar story or have advice on what to try next? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

Reply to
ryan.j.earley

The temperature sensor may still be in the same location as this carburated YJ heat switch:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe that the 22 code refers to the coolant temp sensor, which is on the waterpump housing.

I think the thermal switch you showed above is roughly (exactly?) equivalent to the Code 23 part ("Intake air temperature sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.") on the FI'd 4.0.

Thanks though...I appreaciate all the help I can get on this one.

-Ryan

Reply to
ryan.j.earley

I would call what's on the thermostat housing a temperature sending unit. Might look through the codes at:

to better define yourproblem. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks, thats a great page...added that to the bookmarks.

Code 22 does in fact refer to the reading of what you would call the "temperature sending unit", according to:

It looks like I need to buy a decent multimeter and keep probing this.

Thanks again!

-Ryan

=DFill L. W. Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
ryan.j.earley

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Isn't the unit on the waterpump housing a temp switch for the electric fan? on my cherokee (ok different beast) it turns the electric fan on and off. the temp. sendingunit that sends the signal for the gauge is located on the rear of the head (?).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Yup, that should be correct. I also think he is looking at the wrong part.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain