1998 Cherokee XJ Air Con Problem

Hi,

I have a 1998 face lift Cherokee, and the Air con does nothing, now it's possible that it needs re-gassing, but there seems to be no change

in engine noise when I turn the dial to one of the A/C settings, and I would at least expect the condenser load to show as a blip in RPM or something, can I easily check to see if the condenser is kicking in before I go down to route of getting it re-gassed?

Thanks

Reply to
bryan

bryan did pass the time by typing:

You should hear the comressor kick on. If it doesn't you can start the engine, turn on the AC, then temporarily bypass the low side switch. If the comressor turns on then your system is low.

The low side switch is on the accumulator.

just disconnect the harness and jumper the two connections. Do not bypass the switch this for more than a few seconds unless your filling the system. WHen your filling an empty system you bypass the switch so the compressor will suck in the refrigerant.

Reply to
DougW

Doug,

Thanks I did this, and the compressor did kick it, so did the fan, is this normal? I tried topping up the system, and the compressor kicked in & out while doing so, but now it stays off. I only used a top up kit so might not have had enough gas??

Thanks Bryan

Reply to
bryan

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

snipped-for-privacy@fircroft.net did pass the time by typing:

Yes

You got it.

Use a normal 12oz can of R134a with a refill kit that has a pressure gauge. It is critical to not overcharge the system. I doubt a "top off kit" has enough to do that but a full can might. Follow the instructions with the recharge kit.

You want to be very careful not to overcharge. R134a systems are not as forgiving as the R12 systems were.

This is a basic guide with video.

The "correct" way to recharge a 134a system is with a recovery/recharge machine. But those are mainly for shops.

Reply to
DougW

---snippy---

Doug,

The correct (without quotes!) way to recharge a R134a system, is to put the correct amount of refrigerant into it. You can do this with a recovery station, with a kitchen scale or by emptying the correct size can into the system after evacuation. The amount of refrigerant is more important than the selection of tools. The point is that you can't get it right, using just high and low side pressure gauges. "Topping off" a system that has leaked down enough to stop working is a hit or miss proposition. But with R134a cans and recharge kits readily and cheaply available, many people will try it.

A recovery station from

costs $750. I find this almost within the do it yourself budget. Basically, this is a fancy transfer pump.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Doug,

Once again, thanks. Final question I hope, just want to check that I have used the correct valve to fill the system from as I now see that there are two. I used the one near the top by the accumulator, not the one by the compressor, was this correct?

Thanks

Reply to
bryan

snipped-for-privacy@fircroft.net did pass the time by typing:

Yes.

The connectors by the compressor is called the "high side" and the one you used is called the "low side" or "suction side" connector.

Besides, they are different fittings so the fill kit shouldn't be able to connect there anyway.

Reply to
DougW

The refrigerant won't go in, unless you use the correct valve. That is because the high side will have more pressure in it than your refrigerant can. I believe that what you want, is the small fitting, on the big pipe. Location isn't as important as this.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:

Other way around. On 134a it's small fitting, small pipe. The liquid side of the system. Unless the mfg departed from standard there is no way to confuse high and low side in the new systems.

?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11 The easiest way is to follow the plumbing.

(low) (high) .-evaporator === accumulator === compressor --- condenser --. |___________________________________________________________|

Line size is based on what's in it. thin '-' is liquid thick '=' is gas High is almost always on the compressor. Low is almost always on the firewall run back by the hood hinge.

Reply to
DougW

This is a great deal

(Hope OE doesn't chop up my link!)

Those fittings are pretty darn expensive, considering that my set of gauges cost about $100, and came with one of each, plus the manifold, gauges, and extra long hoses too!

Most people want to feed vapor into the vapor side of the system. It takes a little longer, but things are more tranquil that way.

Earle

refrigerant

Reply to
Earle Horton

From a can of refrigerant:

"Can may burst and cause severe bodily injury if connected to high pressure side of system or any part of system with a pressure higher than 170 p.s.i.g. Using only a tapping device designed for the purpose, charge into the system only through LOW pressure side. Consult technical manual for proper and safe charging procedure."

The blue fitting in the link below is the small one, and fits on the small fitting, which is on the big pipe. You are right that there is no way to screw this up, if you use one of the cheap recharge kits from your local auto parts store, unless you turn the can upside down. :o(

Earle

refrigerant

Reply to
Earle Horton