2001 Grand has "thump" in rear end

My 2001 Grand Cherokee developed a "thumping" sound in the rear area at low speed on bumpy roads. Started around 40,000 mi...now at 60,000 mi. Getting worse. At first I thought it was bad shocks and replaced them to no avail at 45,000 mi. I have looked at everything I can think of that might be a problem and cannot find any reason for the noise. Spare tire is tight, no loose items in spare tire well, suspension looks OK (no visual evidence of anything moving around), brake pads are secure, exaust is tight, ujoints OK, sway bar is tight, etc. I am begining to think that something in the rear suspension is loose or sloppy enough to allow a small amount of movement and cause a thumping sound as it moves around at slow speed. However, I cannot see any evidence of that. I have rebuilt Jeeps from the ground up and generally I can track down problems but this has me baffled. Has anyone had any problems with the rubber inserts in the rear suspension that might allow some slop in the joints? I suspect that is where the problem is but I don't want to tear it apart unless I have to. Paul D

Reply to
ppdavid

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Nope....put new tires on about 5,000 mi ago...still had thump. Paul D

Reply to
ppdavid

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeep is aware of this problem, my wife's '99 JGC had the same issue and our

2002 has it to a much rarer and smaller extent. It's something inside the axle is all I can remember... they even replaced the driveshaft on the '99 trying to fix it. I think Jeep has a TSB on it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

ppdavid proclaimed:

Check the exhaust where it goes over the rear axle for shiny spots.

Reply to
Lon

Jerry, Mine is Dana 44....is that what you had problem with? Paul D

Reply to
ppdavid

Reply to
mic canic

Yes, both of my wife's JGCs had the same aluminum JGC version of the Dana

  1. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford