6 cyl. YJ or 4 cyl. TJ?????????

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:10:54 GMT, "Nathan Collier" shared the following:

*gasp* Say it ain't so! :-) No, I know... I looked up the numbers, too. I still want a V8 but probably not for the right reasons. The one in the '76 CJ I'm going to go look at on Saturday should be 150hp, but that's with a 2bbl and I think it's also with single exhaust. I'm just wondering out loud how much hp it would make with an Edelbrock performer intake and a good sized 4bbl carb (600 CFM or so), and some headers and less restrictive exhaust system. I'd wanna beef up the drivetrain before doing anything like that, but do you think you could probably get a good 200 or so hp out of that engine with the changes I listed above?

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Son of a Bitch!

Coffee in my keyboard, again. Thanks alot, Jim.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Unless you are mudding, or doing other stuff where the gas pedal is mashed into the floorboards, THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO A V8, indeed the V8 can be an huge disadvantage.

>2) those doing v8 swaps are not swapping in lethargic 304's.>

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:22:06 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" shared the following:

OK, this is beginning to sink in for me. :-) I don't even have a Jeep yet but was initially thinking of 37" tires. I think I should get real. If I got a Jeep with Dana 30 front, Dana 20 xfer case, and AMC 20 rear-end (I hear that's not a great one) does that sound like it would be crazy to put 35" tires on that kind of driveline? I plan on taking my Jeep offroading 3-4 times a month. I swear I'm not arguing. I'm just asking because I have no idea.

I think that depends on your state laws. In North Carolina they only do emissions tests on vehicles less than 25 years old: (see #2 FAQ)

's the quote if you don't wanna bother with the website: What vehicles are required to be emissions tested? Effective July 1, 2002, all 1996 and newer gasoline-powered vehicles registered in an emissions county are required to receive the On Board Diagnostics(OBD II) emissions test.

Additionally, through December 31, 2005, all gasoline-powered vehicles less than 25 years old, up to and including model year 1995, registered in one of the original nine emissions counties, (WAKE, FORSYTH, GUILFORD, DURHAM, GASTON, CABARRUS, MECKLENBURG, ORANGE, or UNION), will require an exhaust (tailpipe) emissions test.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:36:43 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" shared the following:

I'm not arguing that point. I was just wondering out loud what kind of power a 304 could make with the modifications listed. I'm not trying to start/continue a holy war about which engine is best.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Why would you want a 150hp V8 that weighs something like 300 lbs, when you can have a 147 hp that weighs in at half that? I just do not get your infatuation with the big old V8 motors used in a Jeep, the newer, lighter, and smaller motors today produce more power, and the torque is just off of idle where you want it for offroading, instead of half way up the RPM scale where you seldom venture into.

Don't get me wrong, there are great places to have a V8 motor, but Real Jeeps don't need one. Put a V8 in my Mustang or Camaro where I can open it up and use the power, but get the damn thing out of my Jeep where all I want is to crawl over rocks about the sixe of my Mustang of Camaro. Now that I have said that, the 5.9L V8 from a Durango sounds kinda cool in a TJ ...

>2) those doing v8 swaps are not swapping in lethargic 304's.>

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
twaldron

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:43:45 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" shared the following:

Not that I want to do it anytime soon, but I'm sure the V8 would be easier to tweak for more power than an I6. Let's not start the "substitute for cubic inches" battle again, please. Also, the V8 has a "sound" to its exhaust that a 6 will never be able to match.

I'm sure not everyone shares that opinion or the swaps to V8s wouldn't be so common.

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

hi travis, run 31's for awhile and learn how to drive a jeep first. i know that may sound "mean" but i promise you that advice is given with the absolute best of intentions. a SWB jeep drives like no other vehicle i know of (cept maybe an fj40). learn its limitations first on 31's, and work your way up from there.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

youre right bill, it doesnt count. the m151 MUTT is not a jeep.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Approximately 10/16/03 12:23, travis uttered for posterity:

If you go for "truck" high torque intake manifold and a good 4 barrel you might be able to get up to the level of the 4.0 I-6 before it has been stroked...

For the 4 barrel you'll want one with fairly small 2 barrel section and a good progressive open of the extra barrels. This way you can crawl at low RPM with good torque, but out on the highway you can also pass vehicles other than those made by Schwinn safely. Except for a bad tendency to set fires, the old Quadrajet made a pretty good 2-4 conversion with the Edelbrock torquer manifold.

But the newer I-6 gets 195 hp out of the box, and with nothing but a good catback you can beat that 200. Add a good header, oversize exhaust, low restriction cat [if needed] and muffler and easy in the 220 range. Plus it has a larger oil and cooling capability in addition to far more torque in the lower rpm.

Then later as you lose your sanity, stroke it or add a blower, or both.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

actually what he did is called a deadlift, and deadlifting the ass end of an MB really isnt all that tough.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I run a 258 (4.2L) I6 with the Mopar fuel injection and a Borla header with a MagnaFlow cat and muffler. (I bought the cat and muffler before I bought the header, and decided that there was no point in buying them again.)

I run 32x11.50s under a 2" ProComp Suspension and 1" body lift. I would not recommend the ProComp suspension because it is very stiff, and probably not the right parts for the kind of offroading that I do. I use 4.10 gears with lockers front and back. I have a full Detroit in the back, and an EZLocker in the front. I run the D30 and AMC20, and the AMC has the Superior One-Piece axles. I have the old Moser axles in the back yard, but they take a ball bearing that has a 2500 pound load limit, the Superiors use tapered roller bearings with a much higher load rating, I think the number is up to

5000 pounds, but I am not entirely sure on that point.

I can't imagine any real need for tires on my CJ that are any bigger than what I have, and 33s for sure are the reasonable limit without running into significant fabrication issues.

You can slide a set of 37s under that full sized Ford or Chevy truck without too much trouble, but it would be a major stuffing exercise to get them under a Jeep.

That AMC20 is actually as good as a D44 for just about everybody. I think the D44 would be better for desert racing, perhaps, but other than that the AMC20 with one piece axles and a little touch of the welding rod where the axle tubes go into the pumkin, and you have very strong axle.

Those 35s are going to present you with some engineering and fabrication obsitcles. A CJ is more realistic with 33s. Having said that, I think Robert Bills on this group actually runs 35s under his CJ7, so it is doable.

OK, so is there a big difference in 25 and 30 years when we are talking about the potential parts acquisition and fabrication issues relative to doing some of the expected mods? I think not. I drive an '81 CJ5, and I am not able to get lots of stuff for it anymore. Some things that you are talking about doing will have to be done by a custom fabricator, or you have to fabricate yourself, which really works out about the same.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Where I wheel, I see very few V8 motors in a Jeep, and the vast majority of swaps are the result of blown motors and other such problems. If the motor is toast, and it costs $750 to rebuild, or $1000 to replace with a V8, then the V8 begins to make sense. When this happens, the V8 that goes in most often, for reasons I don't completely understand, seems to be the Ford 5.0L. The old AMC 304 gets built and rebuilt, but it is seldom the swap-of-choice because the current V8s are much stronger.

Another improvement for a Jeep TJ or YJ is the GM 4.3L V6 from the S10 or S15 trucks. This motor creates very impressive torque numbers at low speeds, and has more than enough horsepower to drag the whole mess down the freeway at a very respectible clip.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

lol......that picture reminds me of this new h2 commercial.

actually an awesome commercial, even if for a poor product.

Reply to
Nathan Collier