6 cyl. YJ or 4 cyl. TJ?????????

I was under the impression Ford designed and built those.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:04:30 GMT, Lon Stowell shared the following:

I guess I feel like this. I'm about to buy a Jeep. An older CJ. I have a choice of buying one with a I6 or one with a V8 if I stick factory options. The V8 puts out more power. To me, more power is a good thing, that's all. I believe you guys that the I6 is very capable. I know the newer 4.0 engine puts out more torque/hp than an old 304. There are going to be very few 4.0 engines in the older CJs I'm looking at. Actually I haven't seen a single one yet. So my options are the I6 or the V8. I choose the V8.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

You're right, Nate, the MUTT is not a Jeep. The MUTT is a dangerous attempt at updating the Jeep with independent suspension. It flips easily and is unstable and doesn't have any flexibility. Other than being a curiosity, it has no intrinsic value as an off road vehicle. I wonder... Does DC own the horizontal slot grill trademark, too?

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
twaldron

The I6 in the year models you are looking at is a 4.2L.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

you are exactly correct. from '51 to about '79.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:41:44 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" shared the following:

I realize that. It puts out less power than the 304 available in the same model year. Someone else mentioned the 4.0 liter, that's why I brought it up again. Because it *does* put out more power than the old 304s, but it's not an option that was available on the old CJs that I'm looking at. If it *was* available on them then I'd probably go with one of them rather than the V8. "More power is good" is just my personal opinion.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

It was dismissed. But it sure got both companies a lot of free advertising.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

There's a good reason for that, they weren't available in CJ's. The 4.0 is the

4.2 successor.
  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

agreed. they even came out with an a2 version that the control arms pivoted front to rear (similar to a tj control arms, except controlling IFS components instead of a live axle) instead of side to side and added a sway bar. while it helped a little, it was still deemed so dangerous that the army ordered them to be cut up before disposal to prevent people from restoring them.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

read this link. read the whole thing, youll be amazed about the controversy over the jeep grille.

Nathan Collier

more power is ALWAYS good. :-) i dont need 300 horses in my rubi but one day.....

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
twaldron

hmmmm.....though ive never tried it im pretty sure i could lift the back of an MB. i seriously doubt i could lift the back of the rubi though, my deadlift max is just over 600.

lol!

Reply to
Nathan Collier

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:05:37 GMT, "Nathan Collier" shared the following:

Mental note to self: Try to not piss off Nathan.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

yeah....but every stock ls1 z28 running around would still kick my ass. i really enjoyed my '02 gt, until an ls1 rolled up beside me.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
twaldron