6 cyl. YJ or 4 cyl. TJ?????????

This is pasted from the Wrangler page off of the Jeep website: Base Curb Weight - Automatic Trans - 3268 lb

So I guess a "real" Jeep must weight about 1100 pounds?

And since weight is the only performance factor, I have found the ultimate Jeep for anyone that thinks so silly:

It's even got dual batteries and it is painted like a "real" Jeep.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

my money says thats due to driver skill.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:43:25 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Wow. With those tires it looks like you couldn't get enough traction to pull a greasy string out of a cat's @ss with a snatch-block rigged up. *chuckle*

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Easy now Travi... don't disrespect the NG elders! They will start pickin' on ya.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

ROFLMAO! You GO! Bill

JimG

Reply to
JimG

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:02:18 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Hmm... That *is* sharp.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:01:04 GMT, "JimG" shared the following:

He already did earlier. Just pokin' fun at him. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

the specs may have called for it, but in reality it was 2000 pounds. probst hid that fact initially.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:39:25 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

"Give me a long enough lever and I'll move the world."

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

he didnt lift the whole jeep, he lifted the back wheels off the ground.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

If you have the time to save up enough, hold out for a 6 cyl TJ! Trust me, you say you'll only drive it to the trails.....you'll be takin it to work soon, shopping, puttering around town etc etc.

Here's my standard response to the 4 cyl vs 6cyl debate:

If you do any kind of hwy driving you definitely want the 6 cyl! The 4 is severely underpowered for hwy driving and if you want to pass anyone, take a lunch! On the plus side, when off-roading, the 4 banger is as good as any other motor!

Don?t even think about boosting the horsepower with things like K&N filters, computer chips, throttle body spacers, headers, exhaust, electric fans, ancient tribal dances, chinese incantations etc. By the time you pay for all that, you might as well drop in a bigger motor, or buy a jp with the 6 cyl in the first place.

The 4cyl has some other issues as well (this is all from 6 yrs experience). Some of these may or may not be an issue with you, but they warrant mentioning. The only tranny to get is the 5spd (don't bother with the auto). No problem right! Except if you want to pull any kind of trailer, it's too weak to handle 5th gear when the trailer is loaded up. You end up in 4th turning 3000 rpm at 100kph. Really bad gas mileage!

Lack of aftermarket parts for the motor. The aftermarket mfgs cater more to the 4.0L guys.

You would think that the 4cyl would get better gas mileage (such that it is with a Jeep), but after talking to 6cyl owners, the difference isn't worth mentioning.

If you plan on putting bigger tires on the jeep, the 4cyl lack of power will be exagerrated! We went from the stock 27 inch Goodyears to 30 inch BFG ATs 2 years ago and there was a definite drop in hwy performance when you hit ANY kind of incline, or trying to pass someone.

Having said all that, the 4 banger is a good motor. The gearing is around 4.10:1 and believe me that is plenty good enough for around town and on the trails. I?ve test driven a brand new Sport and although they do have a lot more horsepower, because they?re geared at around 3.73:1 (or higher, depending on package) you don?t really feel a difference. You will however notice it when passing or pulling!

As far as maintenance is concerned; don't worry about it. Our TJ has

185,000 km on it and it's been really good to us. I've replaced the rad, replaced the pinion seal in the front diff twice, and had to get the starter repaired and then replaced. Total cost to date Cdn $1100. That?s 0.006 cents per km (0.007 cents/mile) for maint $ (doesn't include fluid changes and regular preventative mtce). Take care of it and it'll take care of you!

Get the 6cyl, h/t and get yourself a soft top or bikini top for the summer.

Reply to
GzrGlide

do the write up already......

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Yea. Say it like you mean it Bill. Leaf it or lump it. Of course we can get into the square headlight thing and that's another story.

hehe.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yep. Can't add a camshaft to this puppy. Wrong kind of bolt on...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)