'88 YJ sputtering question

I have a '88 YJ with the 4.2 liter inline 6. The engine does have quite a few miles on it but seems to do alright. The question I have is why would it hesitate and sputter at low rpm's when I load the engine? For example, when starting out from a stop? The Carter BBD I rebuilt not long ago and now I just put a Motorcraft 2100 on and I still have the same problem? Also, with both carburetors I can't seem to get the idle rpms down from about 1000. What should I look at? I have adjusted the idle screws and the mixture screws. In fact, the idle screw isn't even touching now to get it down to 1000. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
rjmax

Have you checked everywhere for air leaks or a missing/cracked/broken hose?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Sounds like vaccuum leak

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

When I put the Motorcraft 2100 on I found a hose or two that might have been a problem so I replaced them. I will check around for some more vaccuum leaks. Thanks for the suggestions. Any other ideas?

Reply to
rjmax

That could easily be a dead charcoal canister. At idle pinch the line from the back of the carb, off the PCV line, that goes down to the top of the canister. There should be a solenoid thing or better a T fitting in the PCV line. If the idle changes, the canister is dead or the purge vacuum isn't plumbed right.

The canister should only be active when hot via the CTO valve and when running by using a ported vacuum signal.

On the BBD, the ported vacuum was up top on the valve cover side. Don't know on the 2100.

Mike

rjmax wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain