89 Jeep Wagoneer clutch

I have a 1989 4x4 inline 6 manual 5 speed. there is a lot of play in the clutch peddle and now I cant shift gears. How do I make an adjustment in the "cable"?

Reply to
Boyd

All you can do is top up the clutch fluid and start saving money to pull the engine.... No adjustment on that hydraulic system.

The slave is internal so the engine or transmissions have to come out to change it. It is normally the part that leaks, but not always. You should check inside on the firewall by the pedal for leaks as well in case it's the master that is leaking.

If the fluid is topped up, then your clutch might just be worn out....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

where is the fluid res to check the level. I have had this for about 3 months now.

Reply to
Boyd

I found it. That worked although there is still quite a bit of play in the peddle?

Reply to
Boyd

There is a bleeder nipple down at the transmission. You might have to bleed it although our leaky one will just self bleed as we pump it usually. Give it a few pumps and watch the fluid.

Our 88 has been leaking for a couple years. Sometimes it needs to be filled daily, other times it will go a couple months before needing fluid....

Mine leaked at the top inside first, then the bottom shortly after I changed out the top which is why they sell the whole works as a kit I guess. I managed to source out just the Master when I needed it though.

The pedals do have some play...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

If the clutch is worn out there will be minimal play in the clutch pedal, and there will eventually be slipping. That would be bad. If there is excessive play, but it appears to operate properly, then there is probably nothing to worry about. What you need to do now is periodically recheck the fluid level, to determine how bad the leak is. If it is leaking "a lot" then you will need to replace the clutch master, slave, and throwout bearing, all at once on this year. That is a "big job" as far as labor charges are concerned, so you would be better off replacing the clutch assembly at the same time. If it is leaking a manageable amount, I suggest that you keep driving the vehicle. For me, a manageable amount would be, for example, something that refilling the reservoir once a month would take care off.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks again. I never heard of such a thing. Oh well, I guess thats progress :) OIIIIO

Reply to
Boyd