90 XJ Won't start low (15psi) fuel pressure

Dave, the injectors are pretty quiet, I did the screwdriver to the thumb in the ear and only heard some faint tapping, a few of them i'm not sure if I heard anything. I think I will try some tubing to the ear tomorrow I have a blue spark from the coil, white spark at plugs. I think it sounds like a few plug wires are switched when cranking, no backfire but it just doesn't sound quite right. The wires are all in the right place, do you think it could have jumped time?

Reply to
JRK58

Mike, I attached a jumper from -batt to the block , good suggestion thanks

Reply to
JRK58

Yeah maybe the ballast resistor on the inner fender panel near the air box is bad. Maybe it is bad and cuts the fuel pump off when not cranking the engine over. Or the fuel pump relay? I believe those relays are interchangeable.

I will assume you unplugged the CPS and replugged it! I will assume that the fuel is good gas and not bad water/diesel!

If you are close to chicago we can plug it into my tester. later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
One out of many daves

Thanks Dave, I will check them out. If the CPS is bad I am told there will be no spark, is that true? I have white spark at the plugs. I'm near Seattle, last time I was in Chicago I was at Soldier Field and witnessed Sweetness break the all time rushing record against New Orleans, God Bless him.

Reply to
JRK58

Most definitely.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, my cap has a #1 on it and that is where my #1 wire is, I'm still going to try moving them over one.........I'm desperate. Thanks for the reply...JK

Reply to
JRK58

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I have a blue spark from the coil and white spark at the plugs. Is that old saying blue will do and white is right true?

Reply to
JRK58

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Why don't you just take the damn distributor cap off and verify that the rotor is pointing at 'your' #1 on the cap when the piston is up at TDC.

You can simply stick a screwdriver in the plug hole to see.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I will when I get home from work, I appreciate all the help, hope I'm not irritating you guys. Thanks

Reply to
JRK58

I seem to remember that one or two people had problems like that and it was the cam sensor inside of the distributor. Try unplugging it's plug and replugging it to see if maybe the connection has corroded and you moving it around helps make a contact.

Running out of ideas until you can use a tester to find out what is up with it!

good luck, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for the reply, That is where it's at. What are the odds of two or three injectors going bad at the same time? The thing almost starts. I have good fuel pressure and spark. If I don't get it going this weekend I'm going to have it towed to the dreaded dealer.......JK

Reply to
JRK58

Past the tower on which side??...

The rotor turns clockwise so if it is closer to #5 plug wire that's ok, if it's closer to #4 wire, the wires are off one hole.

The plug firing order is 1,5,3,6,2,4 'clockwise'.

You should really quote what you are answering.

Next is to pull a plug and see if it is wet or not.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It's closer to #5 Mike. I have checked all plugs and they are wet (some more than others) and there is fog in all cylinders, of course I checked them one at a time. Would it be safe to pull the rail out a

1/2" or so and turn it over to see if all the injectors are working?
Reply to
JRK58

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

At TDC the rotor should be just passing #1 coming up to the next one #5 so he has that right and some other issue.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I would dry the plugs out and hold the gas pedal right to the floor which is 'flood clear' to see what happens....

Something silly is wrong here.....

Did you get the right cap and rotor? I have seen some where the rotor was too short for the cap. Maybe open it and look at the electrode posts to see if there are marks below them.

Maybe put the old cap and rotor in to see what happens?