90 XJ Won't start low (15psi) fuel pressure

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well Folks it started! I held the choke/flapper thing in the TB open and it started. I put it all back together and it wouldn't start again, I took it off again and noticed the vacuum line that goes to the flapper in the airbox was a bit loose so I cut off 1/2" and hooked it back up put it back together and now it starts every time.

I do have a concern though now my fuel pump runs constantly, it still only runs for three seconds when I turn on the key but while cranking & running it is on constantly, the ballast resister is pretty hot. Is this normal?

Reply to
JRK58

Cool!

That was the throttle you held wide open which is a 'flood clear' to the engine.

The ballast resistor is there to convert voltage into heat. Only be concerned if the connections are corroded. In an emergency the two wires can just be plugged together to keep the fuel pump running.

It is only for noise reduction I read somewhere. The pumps make too much noise at 14 volts, so they drop them to 9 or so.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for all of your help, It is now running better than ever and starts much faster.The OEM fuel pump was a whole lot quieter though. Take it easy

Reply to
JRK58

Whew that is good news. :-) It was a repair marathon though! lol

later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks Dave I appreciate your help..........Take it easy, JK

Reply to
JRK58