Losing Clutch Fluid?!

I have an 85, 4wd pickup with a 22r engine and a 5spd manual transmission. Recently I noticed that I lost a lot of clutch fluid (the resovior was down about half way). I filled it back up and I am waiting to talk to my mechanic. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? The clutch seems other wise in good condition, ie no slippage or chatter, and shifting is fairly tight and there is not much free play in the shifter. Is the fluid loss a sign of something serious and is there anything i should watch out for?

Thanks Anders

Reply to
Wolfgang

If you don't see any fluid at the clutch master cylinder, look at the slave cylinder and the flex hose (just follow the tube that comes out of the master cylinder) and you'll find the leak. Get it fixed fast, because a leak can leave you with no clutch release. Unless you're experienced at double clutching, you'll be stranded.

max-income

Reply to
max-income

look inside the firewall near the cluch pedal. the clutch master cylindar leaks there. if it's leaking you should see clutch fluid coming down the inside of the firewall. mine leaks onto the kick panel, but it doesn't leak enough for me to want to get it changed yet. it could also be the cluch slave cylindar, but i've hear that that fails catastrophically, not just a little leaking. if one needs to be replaced, make sure you replace them both.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

Pretty much SOP on the Toyota hydraulic clutch and real easy to take care of. Likely, the clutch master cylinder is leaking. If not it could be the flex line or the slave cylinder. Although, as mentioned in another post, it seems like most slave cylinder failures are pretty dramatic with them basically blowing out and shooting all the fluid out. Replacing any of the parts takes little mechanical skill, a few tools and a buddy to help bleed the line unless you have some sort of bleeder kit. Heck, even I did mine on my own LOL! If it took this long to notice, it is likely just starting to fail. Don't wait around until it fails completely though. Driving around without the pedal is a real pain in the butt and I speak from experience. Chris whitewall junkie Mfinja's Hot Wheels with WhitewallsAll Small Wheels Error Cars

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

Yeah, the year, leads me to beleive its the master cylinder. Look under the dash to see if you have fluid leaking inside the cab. I suspect this, but the slave is a possibility too.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

You might look under the carpeting in the cab, driver's side, left of steering wheel, where the clutch pedal push rod goes through the firewall. Look for your missing clutch fluid there. The seals in the clutch master cylinder may be failing. Has happened to me twice with my 1988 (bought it new in '88). The first time was after about 12 yrs of service. I replaced it with a "generic" part and the same thing happened again, only this time it was after about 2 yrs of service. Replaced again (this time I replaced the slave cylinder too, just to be sure) with Toyota OEM and no problems since.

Moral. Don't go cheap on the clutch master cylinder. "Cheap" really isn't when you have to do it all again.

If you know how to bleed a brake system, this fix is a piece of cake for the Sunday mechanic.

Reply to
In Vancouver

I have an 85 here in australia. Mine had the same problem. I found that there was a sealing problem with the master cylinder which led the fluid to leak though the firewall behind the pedal. I couldnt work it out till I lifted the floor mat and there was all my fluid. I replaced the whole master cylinder rather than use the a resealing kit as it cost the same here.

Reply to
Hydro