94 yj xfer case not engaging front axle

Yesterday found out the hard way I don't have 4wd. Today checked front axle vacuum motor and found it engages. With all four wheels off the ground I engaged 4L and put transmission in gear. While the rear wheels spun the front wheels do not spin. I notice the front drive shaft was slowly rotating, but I cound easily stop it with by hand. Same results for 4H. I adjusted the linkage just to be sure.

I have the np231 J xfer case. Is the xfer case bad? Is there a possible simple fix or do I replace it with a rebuilt? Is there a suggested upgrade? I just mess around on the back roads in Big Bear area.

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

Is this not making it to the news group or is there no comment worth posting?

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

No one really had the heart to tell you what you already have figured likely....

That t-case was a chain drive one so at the 'best' you are looking at a new chain and sprockets.

Mike

Marv>

Reply to
Mike Romain

My comment on this isn't worth posting: "I don't know".

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Thanx for the reply. I just like to be sure I'm not way off in left field or maybe not even on the field anymore.

I did find a fellow who will rebuild it for $150 plus parts. This seems awful cheap but he was recommended by the owner of a transmission shop I have had a long relationship with and trust entirely.

Reply to
Marvin Oliver