96 Jeep grand cherokee

I need a new ECU. Got that from mechanic. I now where to get an ecu. What I need to know is where the ECU is located for my Jeep. I need the one that controls timing and injection and such. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
kraulerson

Your "mechanic" doesn't know???

Reply to
bllsht

the mechanics simply stated it needed to be replaced because of the codes and stalling. After researching it I believe them. They charge over 700 to replace it while I can get a new one for 350. I can't afford the full price but can replace it on my own. I already have a place that will program vin and mileage. I just need to know where to look to take it out. I know it's not the one behind the coolant resevior. I was told it's between the steering colum and the a/c heater casing but can't find it.

Reply to
kraulerson

should be up against the firewall on the passenger side, just behind the coolant overflow bottle. You will probably have to remove the bottle to get at it.

There is a bolt that runs through the connector, do not use this bolt to pull the connector on, it's not strong enough and can damage the ECU.

Reply to
DougW

According to what I've read, that is not the correct ECU. That controls brakes and such. I may be wrong but from what I've read there are 2 different ones.

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
kraulerson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com proclaimed:

Best if you tell us what you've read and where you read it.

Reading out of a Factory Service Manual the Powertrain Control Module is right behind the coolant overflow bottle, or in the words of the FSM: "The PCM is located on the cowl panel in the right/rear side of the engine compartment" where you remove the negative lead on the battery, then remove the coolant overflow bottle, then the 60 pin connector mounting bolt, then that connector, then three PCM mounting bolts.

Reply to
Lon

The ABS computer is on the driver's side fender, just behind the headlight, tucked in beside the air cleaner. The one you're looking for is on the firewall, passenger side, behind the coolant overflow container.

Reply to
SBlackfoot