99 TJ-Airbag light comes on-tach/speedo dies?

Okay, this has started happening in the last two days. The airbag light comes on and the tach/speedo/etc. all die but the odometer stays
lit. I'm not sure if it's recording mileage or not, but it's lit. Vehicle is a '99 Wrangler Sport 4.0liter with a 5-speed.
Come to think of it, the HVAC system never worked right and the blinkers like to sort of hang up a bit but I don't think they are related. All fuses appear to be okay and were checked visually. If a few blew the dash wouldn't come back on. idea's?
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 01:17:39 -0500, DragonRider wrote:

Something similar was happening in my '98 XJ. If you smack it a few times, does everything come back online? If so, you may just have a loose connection behind the instrument cluster.
To fix this I took the IC out to get at the 2 (I think?) plugs on the back side of it that connect to receivers in the dash. I ended up twisting the pins on the IC ever so slightly to firm up the connections. It might be a better idea to put just a little solder on them if the metal will take it to avoid breaking something.
Either way, since doing this I haven't had any problems.
Good luck!
--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;

Thanks, that was it exactly. Good thwack and they all come back online. :) Now if I can find some time in the rediculous work schedule to actually get into the Jeep I'll get it fixed.
Thanks again!

there is a tsb for replacing the green plug at the bac of the cluster and that also involves cleaning off the black carbon tracs on the pins that must be carefullty scratched off when all done disconnect the battery and let it sit for 5 minur\tes to erase the no buss. comm. dtc that you have from that issue
Mike Becker wrote:

They didn't mate up the dash pins with the correct sized plug on the wiring harness so it comes loose. You can thump the dash and make it maybe work for a while, but be careful in the cold, I have heard of cracked dashed from it.
The fix is a new plug that DC has. The other fix is to pull the plug and give every pin a slight twist so they grab the plug again. It sounds suspiciously like a metric/standard mix up, but I don't know for sure.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
DragonRider wrote:

http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/guages.htm God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com